SOLVED

How do I only record my shared desktop screen and not the video feed from other participants?

Silver Contributor

Hi guys

Hopefully I am explaining this right, but when I record a Skype for business meeting, the output looks like the one below.

I only want to capture the audio and shared desktop (presentation only). I don't want to have the persons image or video feed on the left.

How do I only record the presentation and audio? Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Damien

video.png

13 Replies

Do you have a second monitor to drag the elements to that you don't want recorded?

Otherwise, presenting your desktop, will share - therefore record - everything on it.

If you're doing a PowerPoint presentation, choosing the "share PowerPoint files" option will limit the viewer and the recording to only the slides (even if you minimise it in your view or move it around, the other people will still see only the slides).

Or if it's not slides, have you tried sharing a window to share just a specific application you're showing to people?

Thanks for your response and suggestion.

I don't have a second screen, I am doing the presentation solely from a laptop.

My presentation consists of:

1. Starting with PowerPoint slides

2. Switching to Microsoft Teams application to demo the product

3. Return to the slide show to wrap up the presentation.

Given I have a combination of your suggestions below, do you have any thoughts on how the output video can remove that self view?

Many thanks for your time and effort on this!

Many thanks for the suggestion. My main issue relates to that self view icon on the left of the screen shot, and wanting only to see the shared desktop screen.

I just haven't had any luck working out if that is possible as yet!

The only option then is to - like you do now - present your desktop, but keep things you want not seen closed or minimised.

Or, share a window - select the app you want. When finished, close it. Then repeat for the other apps. None of the attendees will then see anything else that may pop up on your own screen.

The only small issue there - which can be avoided if you explain what's going to happen - is the presentation closing, and reopening as you stop and start sharing the different apps.

That's all I can think of really.

I appreciate your input Shane. Thanks for this.

I wish Microsoft would just have an option to let me record my shared desktop without having the presenters/speakers view avatar on the left of the Skype recording.

Maybe one for a future release?

can that be controlled by the different view options? gallery etc? sorry, not logged in at the moment! :)

we're all dual monitor snobs here so anything we don't want in the recording we just drag over to the other one. apologies if i'm a bit confused.

best response confirmed by Damien Rosario (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Shane

The issue was happening on my laptop screen when presenting, but I have found a way to get my solution.

By setting all participants as Attendees and also disabling their video feeds, I have found that when I record the meeting it only shows the shared screen I am presenting.

I did notice that when someone had typed out a question, it appeared on the side of the video, but the way to fix that for me might be to disable IM and let people ask questions via audio.

Either way I have my solution which I had to trial and error to get!

Thanks again for all your input!

video1.png

@Damien Rosario your capture sometime working, sometime does working. anyway S4B will close, MS not support. you should use MS Team, it's better. :)

@Damien Rosario your capture sometime working, sometime does not working. anyway S4B will close, MS not support. you should use MS Team, it's better. :)

@Thao Dao Phuong 

Haha yes very true. We are going Teams once the conferencing hardware vendors catch up to it and then SfB is gone.

Good times ahead!

Cheers

Damien

Hi, Damien. I think joyoshare screen recorder can work well on you cause it enables you to grab recording area freely with/without audio. I used to use it to record my PowerPoint presentation. You could give it a shot.  @Damien Rosario 

Thanks for your contributions, @LiamA165.

Since that time I've also found a recording option in PowerPoint as well and as you say some other options like Joyoshare. Now I use solely Teams which is awesome.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Cheers

Damien

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Damien Rosario (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Shane

The issue was happening on my laptop screen when presenting, but I have found a way to get my solution.

By setting all participants as Attendees and also disabling their video feeds, I have found that when I record the meeting it only shows the shared screen I am presenting.

I did notice that when someone had typed out a question, it appeared on the side of the video, but the way to fix that for me might be to disable IM and let people ask questions via audio.

Either way I have my solution which I had to trial and error to get!

Thanks again for all your input!

video1.png

View solution in original post