Duplicate contact details when syncing Skype for Business

Iron Contributor

Morning all,

I use Skype for Business on my Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 mobile phone and all contact details for all 'contact based apps' are synced to the contacts app.  However, if I view a contact who I use with Skype for Business, their contact details (email address, phone numbers) are duplicated numerous times.  If I try to edit the contact within my Contacts app, everything is fine for the Exchange Active sync details and WhatsApp details, but for Skype for Business I see their phone numbers and email address duplicated about 30 times each.

This is very frustrating, so has anyone seen this behavious before please?

Thanks, Oz

7 Replies

Strange one. Have you tried on another android device or an iOS device?

Are you using the native mail app or Outlook?

Hi @AlexanderHolmeset - I was using the native mail app, but have now tried Outlook as well.  When I edit a contact in the native Contacts app (which Outlook also uses now), I can see that the details coming from Exhange Active Sync, Outlook and WhatsApp are all what I'd expect, but the details under Skype for Business just show the same email address about 30 times and the same phone number 30 times.  I haven't tried an iOS device as I haven't got one, but have tried another Android (Galaxy S5) with the same result.  It's driving me mad!

Same OS version on both devices? Sounds more like a bug to me. 

I wish there were only 30. I have one contact with HUNDREDS or maybe even thousands of duplicate details. There are so many that Android takes about 20-30 seconds to even display the contact details.

I believe the best solution so far is to just delete the contact and wait for it to resync (I think it will).

Oz did you ever find a resolution for this?  I'm having the exact same issue.

Hi Ben. I use 2 phones which synced one off my accounts so I ended up deleting all accounts from both phones, removed the Outlook App and then re-added the accounts, just using the native mail app.
I don't know whether the Outlook App syncing was causing the problems, but everything seems to be fine now. Hope it works for you too.

Thanks Oz!  I tried clearing the data cache from the Skype for Business app on my phone.  That didn't work so I completely uninstalled the app and then reinstalled it.  That seemed to do the trick.  If the issue comes back though I plan on submitting feedback.