How long did it take to port in a service number?

Brass Contributor

This seems to be a major headache with lots of round-trip exchanges, because support is not aware of or prepared to deal with the "manual" porting requests. Mine was closed, then reopened, then they came back with requests for additional documetation, and there is no ETA.

5 Replies
Porting involves both the carrier interactions, some of them depend on losing carrier. we are preparing to share more details in terms of FAQs to avoid the unnecessary delays due to missing needed info. For this case, could you please send us the case details to skypeexp@microsoft.com so that we can take a close look. Thanks!

I was curious to learn about the experience of other admins, and specifically about porting service numbers. I think the user number porting process works well.

I have had a pretty awful experience with porting numbers. One port was straightfoward, we quickly received a scheduled port date and the numbers were ported on that date. Then I tried to port several more numbers and a service number and it has been two months. Communication has been infrequent, the transfer date has been scheduled multiple times and then cancelled. The amount of time I am having to spend trying to port a few numbers and how long it is taking is preventing me from moving a lot more users to the service because they need to keep their existing phone numbers.

Sorry to hear that. My service number port was just completed today and it took about 2 1/2 weeks. My other two port requests were for user numbers and they got turned around in a couple of business days.

I would strongly recommend not porting toll free service numbers.  We are on day 5 with our 800 number giving a fast busy signal to callers.  The port order was put in months ago, nothing happened for a long time.  Finally spoke to someone who got things moving and ported over two regular/toll service numbers without issue.   Then suddenly the 800 number was ported without any official notice and has been giving the busy signal ever since.  Support is completely helpless and won't even allow you to speak with anyone directly involved in the port.  I've only been given vague statements that its being worked on, that there is a "bug" with toll free numbers.  Extremely frustrating.