Video screen size and real estate / UI in Skype for Business

Steel Contributor

Here are a couple examples of screen real estate for a couple video calls I'm in routinely. For one, the big use of an audio/phone-only tile is a HUGE waste of space, and there's no other way to manually reconfigure the layout of the gallery, or re-sizing, or even maximizing an individual speaker (with video) only covers about 30% of my screen, even when running in full-screen mode. 

Joining a SFB meeting of any kind (other than person-to-person) really is a terrible layout/experience if I'm trying to catch any visual detail from the remote side, and there's no way to maximize or expand that frame today.

Is there any development work to enhance the current UI and screen real estate challenges with this meeting experience, or is all of the development moving towards the Microsoft Teams experience (and I just have to suck it up until then)? 

Thanks in advance - if there's any tips on how to better use the layout controls to get to my objective, or if I'm missing some sleuthy button, that would be appreciated as well. 

Cheers,

Chris

p.s. one of the remote devices is a surface Hub, and I'm viewing this on a 28" Surface Studio monitor, so it should be massive but with this layout/size it's very difficult to see at all in this UI configuration. 

3-party-call.pngmultiparty-call.png

1 Reply

Chris,

I know this is an old thread but we have been testing Skype for Business in so many different ways and we are hunting for tips regarding layouts. I came across your post and we experienced this same "issue" about things looking small or tiny on our 70" 4K TV. After a few hours, we realized that intentionally dropping the resolution in Windows 10 from 4K to 1920 x 1080 AND by also changing the ration from 300% or 150% to just 100%, things look big and clear. So long story short, it's nice to have 4K and change ratio to 300% but that kills how the layout and proportions are in Skype for Business.

So we are hoping we are not the only ones running into this and/or there is a fix. Or maybe Microsoft is going to address this soon..........