Using Skype for Business on an IT helpdesk

Iron Contributor

Hey,

can I use skype for business (office 365) for helpdesk? So a user can start a chat with helpdesk and one member of the helpdesk group answers (ACD / response group functionality).

Regards

Stefan

2 Replies
There is no native functionality to support this in either SfBO or On-Prem. However, there are 3rd-party products that can accomplish this. Just a quick search brought up this and others: https://www.vayusphere.com/products/help-desk-chat-support-using-microsoft-lync/.

To add my 2 cents ... As Skype for business is going to "Teams", you'd be better to start with teams, using its Messaging/Video/Voice Chat capabilities and add call ticket logging features using a SharePoint list/PowerApp (I think there is a template for one already in PowerApps). Then use flow to do the workflow portion to send it to specific Helpdesk groups based on what the call is, along with call escalation. PowerBI could then be used for reporting service metrics over the SharePoint list.

The beauty of O365 is you can create whatever you want ... most of it is possible with a medium level of experience. But be aware, if you build it, then you have to maintain it.

Or you could buy a helpdesk system with it all built in, and someone else maintains it :)