Update SIP Address - Lync Server 2013 - SFB Online Hybrid

Brass Contributor

How can we update the SIP address for users in a Lync Server 2013 / Skype for Business hybrid scenario? When I go to the Lync Server 2013 control panel and look up the user, I cannot edit the SIP Address. What is the supported method for updating the SIP address? PowerShell? ADSI edit? If so, which field or fields need to be updated?

3 Replies

I've never had much luck with this, pure cloud accounts SIP address will always match the UPN.  Hybrid accounts don't have to.  Typically, I'll communicate with the users and change it to the UPN before moving up, that way I never have to think about it again.  If I've already moved it up, and need to change it, I've usually given up and moved it back down, edited it, ran Azure AD Connect sync, then moved it back up.  If you script it out, it doesn't take too much time and you can do it in bulk.  I imagine there's a better way, but I haven't found it.

I just encountered this with our own Lync 2013/Online hybrid. Even though the field looks editable in the GUI, I can't actually type in it. PowerShell doesn't have this problem, though. You can update it with Set-CSUser.

Format is...

Set-CSUser "user" -SipAddress "sip:new.address@company.com"

Make sure the SIP address is updated in Outlook, too, or you'll run into problems between Outlook/SFB.

This works well for the Lync 2013/Online hybrid setup. Give it a few minutes before it's reflected
get-CSUser "User" | Fl SipAddress