Unable to record audio in Skype Meeting.

Brass Contributor

We're testing out the office 365 "Audio Conferencing" Skype license. I've assigned one to myself and am able to generate Skype Meeting in outlook. When I start a meeting and tell it to call me for audio (instead of using the PC for audio) i'm unable to record the audio. When I hit record, the message displays "Audio won't be recorded as it's not enabled on this device". When I playback the recording, anything I shared from my desktop shows fine, just no audio.

If I tell it to use my PC for audio, recording works fine. Playback has all audio fine. 

7 Replies

Yes, that is by design.  The recording is done client-side so the client will need to get a copy of the audio.

so the only way to record is if you use the computer's speaker/mic or connect a conference camera to the computer and use that? It would be great if we could use one of our conference phones for audio. 

Hi Anthony,

I learned this one the hard way today. :(

This is very unintuitive.

I also suspect that recording a speaker phone with a built in laptop mic sitting in the same room will result in poor quality audio.  

Will this issue be addressed?

Thanks,

Scott

I expect it will be addressed in Teams, but am not entirely sure.  Broadcast meetings can record server side... I've been out of the loop for a bit due to a large project, a conference and a vacation.  :)

Does anyone know if this is coming?  We have lots of associates who dial in and speak on presentations.  This should be a given. 

That's terrible design then... So the person with the dedicated PTSN line, can't actually use it and record the audio of a meeting. Isn't the point of the dedicated PTSN line to have higher quality audio? How does it make any sense that we can't record the audio? Our execs are furious... 

Only being able to record on the client side has really bit us on the bottom on a couple of occasion, all it takes is a power/battery failure or random MS update reboot, crash etc during the processing of the recording and it's all gone. Learnt the hard way that if it's something important then you need to be sure to have at least 2 client machines recording the meeting to be (almost) sure that you'll have something to show for it.