Surface Hub acoustics and satellite microphone options

Steel Contributor

We are finding that we will likely need satellite microphones in our conference spaces.  While the built-in microphone pickup is good in a relatively small space, we are getting complaints about audio pickup in anything bigger than a 6-8 person conference room, or in rooms with not-so-great accoustics.  

Has anyone tested any USB satellite microphones, or tried using a USB a/v bridge to connect Surface Hub to existing room audio systems?  I've been looking at some Vaddio and Polycom options, but would prefer not to purchase until more data is available.  Echo cancellation and ease of use will be key factors.

19 Replies
I wouldn't do Surface HUB more than that. It is a collaborative room, and we should have people who can stand in-front of the board.

I agree that it is a collaboration system, but it can also very easily double as a great, easy to use video conferencing system.  For $9k to $21k not including stands and accessories we want to get our money's worth out of it.

Luckily there are multiple options to setup a meeting room, you can find all options here http://partnersolutions.skypeforbusiness.com/solutionscatalog/meeting-room-systems

Yep, I've reviewed that list more than a few times before I reached out on this forum.  

The Surface Hub tech is still relatively new, so I'm not expecting that anyone has really had much experience integrating it yet.  I am just hoping others are thinking this direction.

There is an interesting session at Microsoft Ignite about Meeting Room experiences, maybe its worth while waiting for that session or the recording if you are not attending.

Do you know the date and time of that session?

Actually there are multiple sessions you can see a list here

https://myignite.microsoft.com/sessions?q=meeting

We have tried a few options and the results are not staggering. A bit like the additional camera support when you get Centre Camera as an additional tag in a SFB call, however we are testing anything available at the moment as we do get requests. It is thugh, as someone else pointed out not really Hub territory, but clients will request it so we have to test and report.

Sennheiser has the TeamConnect Wireless - 2 or 4 wireless satellites where the Surface Hub connects via either BlueTooth or USB to the master satellite.  The master satellite wirelessly transmits audio to/from the other satellites.  Please note that each wireless satellite has both microphones and an individually controlled speaker and could be used for up to 24 participants.  We've got a number of universities in California currrently using TeamConnect Wireless with 70" Surface Hubs this way.

The TeamConnect Wireless also has built-in Echo Cancellation too.

Hi David,

I've tried the team connect wireless units with our surface hubs but one major issue is the ability to connect the master unit after pairing if you're not an administrator of the surface hub. Just turning on bluetooth on the TC device is not sufficient enough, you need to go into the admin settings of the Hub and connect the device.

Not very user friendly or easy for some of the more difficult users. Also found the microphones can lag a little at the beginning.

If anyone else has any other systems that they've used to extend or improve the Mic / Speaker setup for a slightly larger room I'd love to hear from them.

Cheers.

That may be the way it works with BT, but I'm finding that Surface Hub makes other audio devices default if they're connected via USB.

We've had the best luck with the Jabra speak 810 bluetooth paired to Jabra Link360, permanently paired to the surface hub. (Permanent Pair is not necessarily a documented feature but one that was developed specifically for the surface hub). This works best if you have a static furniture setup with access to power centrally in the room. (810 has no battery)

Alternatively, look at a pair of Jabra Speak 710s. Same permanent pair feature and far more modular, portable, etc. . .

Brandon Long
Modality Systems

i have tested the Jebra 810 it connects like a charm.... but only drawback is it takes over the audio completely ... its like mobile conf. phone speakers. not true extension of audio. I feel when you use 84" SHUB in a large room MS should add some audio extensions. if not at least work on the solution.

although it was a good test.

Hey Daryl,
There are no 70 inch Surface Hubs, is it the larger or smaller device?
Sorry did I mention 70". My bad.

I have 84" and 55" both in two meeting rooms. I think only these 2 models are available .

Have you thought about the Analogue MIC in on the bottom of the Hub.

We have a customer with the same question, we were going to use Polycom Trio on USB but they don't want me to drill a hole in the Board Room Table ;)

Hi, 

I believe tht TRIO is the only one at the moment in the market with active SKYPE PBX support.

we are also considering it, subject to finance approval as usual.... although it would be good to have SKYPE office 365 control integrated instead of managing them separately.

Surface Hubs needs bit of work,  as its missing collaboration between hubs in a realtime, it should be seemless though...let me know your experience with TRIO .

thanks.

Hi there.

this audio mic system plug directly into the  Surface hub via USB and with provide amazing pickup in room around 9m x 9m.

https://www.nureva.com/hdl300-audio-conferencing-system

If you want to test / demo it please get intouch with Nureva they are good guys

Could you elaborate on the Permanent Pair feature? How do I enable it?