SRS v2 Whiteboard content viewing

Copper Contributor

Does anyone have any information regarding the possibility of SRS v2 being able to view the Whiteboard Content presentation from another skype user in a meeting?

I understand the unavailability of interaction with the whiteboard, but not being able to view it altogether in my mind is a pitfall. 

As an aside, is there going to be support for SRS v2 to be able to participate/view polls and Q/A?

any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated as I cannot seem to find any documentation that addresses Whiteboard and other Content viewing in the SRS v2 Smartdock configuration.

thanks

7 Replies

As far as I've heard the next step for SRSv2 is to support Teams meetings, I can't see there being much development happening to ad further Skype features. Perhaps a more useful question is whether these features will be replicated in Team, as they aren't at the moment. There is the new Microsoft Whiteboard app that started on Surface Hub, I expect to see some kind of linkup with Teams in the future. Teams already has polls through the Forms app, perhaps that would appear in the chat thread of a meeting.

Fundamentally I think the vision is that the screen on the SRS isn't really adapting to the meeting content, it's always the same so people are confident to mute, disconnect, add participants etc. I cant really imagine how a poll would work really, if there were 6 people in the room with the SRS who gets to vote?

The person closest would have responsibility. However sometimes you find that no one wants to control/run the meeting (in case it goes wrong).

This is kind of a non-answer.

While I hear what you're saying in respect to the polling feature, they might not be the only group in the meeting, which doesn't discount the Poll and Q/A feature as a tool to gauge the overall participant opinion etc.. It would be up to the organizer of the meeting to make questions appropriate for the audience, but in this case there is no option currently available (again, there is currently no technical documentation regarding this - anywhere). 

As for the Whiteboard, the SRS v2 could theoretically view the content on the screen just like a Powerpoint or laptop content would on the TV (not on the surface itself), but nobody has answered if this is/will be supported. And there is no technical documentation regarding this subject. 

For the Whiteboarding, could suggest it on https://www.skypefeedback.com/. However my guess is that all focus would have shifted to building the Teams stack for SRS by now.

I suppose so, I'm just surprised they haven't posted an asterisk anywhere saying:

*(SRS v2 does not currently support all Skype for Business features eg. Whiteboard, Polls, Q/A...)

that would have been greatly appreciated. For what it's worth, I found a vote on skypefeedback.com regarding the whiteboard subject. Thanks for pointing me there.
https://www.skypefeedback.com/forums/299913-generally-available/suggestions/17334700-ability-for-sur...

throw a vote that way to help get the question answered if you can.

Done :)

I do not expect that you'll see this come to the SRSv2 platform.  In older public roadmap discussions Microsoft outlined potential future support for touch displays, which is where you would see whiteboard support be enabled then; on the wall and not on the 'control device'.  Using the Surface itself is not part of the overall design that I've seen for Project Rigel, and using a touch display is more inline with previous LRS and current Surface Hub experiences.

Then again, whiteboarding support on SRSv2 may never happen for two reasons:

1. If you want whiteboarding in the room than the Surface Hub is already an available product.  And if you want to whiteboard from the table then use your own Surface tablet.

2. The whiteboarding protocols in SfB are numerous and old.  Until a single whiteboarding solution is provided cross-platform there is little value in doing something like this now. 

As mentioned, keep an eye on how Teams will handle all this to see what future capabilities may be in this specific room platform.