Some custom policies in Skype for Business Online

Copper Contributor

At the last Ignite conference custom policies for SfBO was presented e.g. CsConferencing & CsClient. Last Saturday  the New/Set-CsConferencing & Client policy cmdlets showed up. So, I created a new CsConferencingPolicy and then attempted to set the AllowIPAudio & AllowIPVideo parameters to $false (their defaults are $true) and I was unable to set them. The error retuned by PowerShell is attached - the error in its self is rather puzzling any how does anyone know if some of the parameters in these policies are locked for newly created policies?  Btw I was able to change some parameters relating to file transfer sucessfully.

10 Replies

Hello Bummi.  I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with applying Custom Policies.  There are a subset of policies that are configurable but some of the policy updates require a client update.  Others can be set with no clinet update as you have discovered.  I'm following up with Siunie (the presenter on Custom Policies @ Ignite!) and will provide an update as soon as I hear back.  

Hey Bunmi

It's not allowed to modify these both attributes on an existing conferencing policy. Create a new one with this two parameters. 

New-CsConferencingPolicy -Identity "Common_NoAV" -AllowIPAudio $false -AllowIPVideo $false

Cheers Andy

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I did actually create a new CsConferencingPolicy (a screen is in the attached jpg on the original post). The behaviour I encountered was the inability to change some of the parameters in the newly created policy using the set cmdlet, in particular the ones I mentioned in the orginal post.

Rgds Bunmi

Thats right. You can't modify these parameters (AllowIPAudio / AllowIPVideo) on a newly created policy with the "set-csconferencingpolicy" cmdlet. It's just possbile to set these options during the new-csconfernecingpolicy cmdlet.

Nice, we've been waiting a long time for this!

Not directly related to the question at hand, but just an fyi that this old trick still seems to work great to create a new policy based off an existing one. Make a clone and then tweak only what you need to in the new policy (if it's allowed, in this case :) ).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2011/03/21/copypolicies.aspx

Thank you for the update guys.

Microsoft has posted an updated article on Update on Custom Policies in Skype for Business Online which can be found here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Blog/Update-on-Custom-Policies-in-Skype-fo...