Skype Web APP using WEB RTC

Iron Contributor

When is it going to be available? 

16 Replies

I see that the edge browser provides support for web rtc in the w10 creators update. This would make it easier to justify a transition to supporting web RTC for S4B. Of course, no word yet. I'd give it 2-3 years.

Of note, I am writing about SKYPE FOR BUSINESS here (not consumer skype)

This is a major roadblock for us. We communicate with a lot of external parties who are not allowed to install the SfB Web App Plug-in. This means we cannot use SfB for meetings with these users and generally this means more meetings are moved to Webex because the users don't want to risk seeting up a meeting and then having to reschedule because of technicalities.

In today's work environment it is not unreasonable to expect that an online meeting can be joined as long as you have a modern and updated browser without installing extra bits and pieces.

Big +1 from me.  This has been a topic of discussion on and off for a long time now.  It would be nice to hear from one of the MS folks on where they currently stand on this.  The web app really needs an overhaul, and this is a big part of it.

just a quick tought, even my webRTC from Pexip requires a plugin to install in order to share a document in Firefox or Chrome, you will never get ride of the bit and pieces to install into your latest browser.

Perhaps, however the majority of my meeting participants will never share content.  A webRTC component is still much more desirable than a manually installed plugin.

There is ORTC support too within Pexip today.  The sharing of JPG and PDFs do not require any extensions or add-ins.

As Skype Consumer works with ORTC today in Windows 10 (no need for Creators update) hopefully we will see SfB with ORTC support. 

Also with Teams supporting the new video calling, maybe that is tied in all together and there will be some updates in June I think they said for external access etc.

And Lync 2013.... wohooooo! :o)

Is web-RTC a subset of object real time communication?

@Deleted wrote:

There is ORTC support too within Pexip today.  The sharing of JPG and PDFs do not require any extensions or add-ins.

As Skype Consumer works with ORTC today in Windows 10 (no need for Creators update) hopefully we will see SfB with ORTC support. 

Also with Teams supporting the new video calling, maybe that is tied in all together and there will be some updates in June I think they said for external access etc.

I think it's the other way around, WebRTC has been around for ages and then along comes ORTC. An interesting read here http://www.nojitter.com/post/240172318/microsoft-puts-new-edge-in-webrtc

So you are saying if a external person who has windows 10 and try to join Skype for Business meeting, it uses Web RTC? Am i getting correctly? What about users homed on Lync 2013 backend on-prem?

No not today with Microsoft. ORTC is only available for Skype Consumer users today. There are 3rd party tools that enable ORTC gateway into SfB/Lync 2013 if that is something needed today.

Who has this today? Any thrid party recommended tools

Pexip, Lifesize etc. It's not really a good solution as you end up using their VMR, but they allow Skype users to connect to the room as well as WebRTC, legacy VC etc.
Pexip can be used as a gateway. Not a VMR in sight so preserves workflow for SfB.

Can Pexip be used to join on to a native Skype meeting ?

Sure it can. You can just enter the Skype Meeting ID and you’re into the meeting.