SOLVED

Skype Room System V2 device will not auto login to Skype for Business

Copper Contributor

I recently deployed a SRS V2 device and it will not auto launch SfB. Is there a way to achieve this without a reimage of the device? I should point out that everything is working fine. I just can't get it to auto launch SfB after the device is powered up and logins in to Windows 10. 

27 Replies

Did you join the SrS device to a domain?    It may have possibly pulled down a GPO that modified the auto launch of the built in Skype profile

David I did join the device to a domain but put it in a non GPO OU in AD.

Interesting...I mentioned the above b/c I joined the device to the domain and unknowningly put the computer object in an OU that received a GPO.    Similar to your issue I wasnt able to get the Skype profile to auto launch and had to reimage the sfc pro 4 get it working again.

Joining the domain has a tendency to clear the autologon reg keys, causing the system to be stuck at windows login screen instead of booting up SfB.

Can you verify the following registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon AdminAutoLogon = (dword) 1

If this fixes the problem, I recommend creating a separate OU for Rigel devices and applying a GPO to that OU to set this registry key.

We've noticed the same behaviour and applied the Fix David mentionend.

Greets

Jörg

Thanks for confirming Jörg!

David thanks for the response. I was able to verify the registry key. There was another key missing I had to add for the password. Now my SRS device auto logs into the network but still will not auto launch SfB. Working on getting the OU setup.

best response confirmed by Rob Scott (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Make sure the autologin is signing into the "Skype" user account.

The autolaunch behavior is triggered in:
HKU\Skype\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "SkypeRoomSystemLaunch" where it will have a long command that ultimately protocol launch skype-mrx://

David I was logging in with a domain account enabled for SFB. I will probably reimage this SRS device next week now that my demo to my manager is over. Thank you for your input.

You can still autolaunch the SRS Skype app and have it use your domain account for Skype.    At the device's login screen, choose other, then enter an account in the format of yourmachinename\skype.  From there just login without a password and the app should launch, at which point it will use the domain credentials you've loaded into the app to access Skype and Exchange.  Hopefully this may save you from re-imaging.

Thank you Larry for the reply. This did work for me.
Hello David,

I joined my machine to my entreprise domain but i cannot use the skype default account with the autologon, i have to switch everytime to .\admin to get internet access. The GPO was denied on the SRS2 machine. I can see it in the GPO report. How can i change the Skype default account to admin with athe auto launch of SFB. And what's the pwd for the Skype account ?

Thanks

The default password for the Skype account is "sfb".. But you won't change the default user to admin, the Skype account is hardend and can execute only certain prgrams.

what are the best practices when you join a domain for the proxy authentification ?

we've set an IP-based ruleset on our proxy for our Skype Room Systems 

Greets

Jörg

Thanks Jorg, i will submit this idea as it becomes difficult to change the settings of autologon. This should be documented on technet when you join your machine into a domain.
Hi christophe,

After you join the domain, please verify this regkey is set as follows: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon AdminAutoLogon = (dword) 1

Joining a domain has a tendency to clear this reg key even if no GPO policy is applied to the device. I recommend setting up a separate OU for your SRSv2 device and creating a GPO to ensure this flag is set.

Strongly recommend your domain joined SRS v2 unit continue to auto login to the Skype user account (it has no password). For normal operation in a meeting room, SRS v2 expects to be running under the Skype account to function properly (for example, the Skype user account is locked down security policies you will want when you leave it running in a meeting room).

Additional SRS v2 management info here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt790549.aspx
but does the skype profile even support the proxy ? I doubt it because only my admin is able to use the edge browser with proxy then i'm able to launch the skype app.

If the skype app is not designed to go trough a proxy natively, how can i make it work under the Skype profile ?

I have already check the reg entries mentionned in your previous posts

The skype app works fine in our environment through proxy, so that should not be the reason. Have you turned on "automatic proxy discovery", or have you set the proxy settings via gpo only for user accounts?

Greets

Jörg

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rob Scott (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Make sure the autologin is signing into the "Skype" user account.

The autolaunch behavior is triggered in:
HKU\Skype\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "SkypeRoomSystemLaunch" where it will have a long command that ultimately protocol launch skype-mrx://

View solution in original post