Skype for Rooms not presenting to TV after system sleep

Copper Contributor

We have one of those LogiTech Skype for Rooms systems with the Surface Pro / Docking station. Ever since the upgrade from v2 to v3 of SRS the system fails to present meeting content to the TV. 

After a reboot the unit works fine. It shows the default splash screen on the TV and dashboard on the Logitech docking station/Surface Pro. I can start a video call or present from a laptop just fine. Fast forward - the unit is not being used for a while and goes to sleep. I come back 2 hours later, the unit activates. I turn on the TV and only see the (I assume) the desktop extension of WIndows 10 on the TV. I am supposed to the see the default splash screen of SRS, but only see the default Windows 10 background.

The docking station/Surface Pro shows the standard SRS dashboard. I plug in a laptop and it switches to presenting, but the TV stays on the default Windows 10 background. 

Again, this worked fine in v2, but ever since v3 came out, this is bugging us. Any ideas how to fix this?

41 Replies
Seeing the same thing. Have disabled sleep in power settings to stop this but will cause screen burn over time.

What version are you running of the SRS software?

Faced with same problem. Current app is 3.0.10.0, winver is 15063.540.

As I remember, problems began after update to 3.0.0.0 application. The only workaround - restart SRS.

3.0.10 is installed. It all worked fine with 2.x. Wish I could go back ...

So, you leave the TV on the entire time then as well?

Yep - left on all the time. 

I think its a feature of the TV not supporting the power on over the HDMI instead of the SRSv2 not doing it correctly.

I've seen issues where the external monitor just getting "no signal as well" anyone experienced that ?

I would have to disagree. This all worked fine with 2.0.x and broke once 3.0.x hit the system. Same TV, same everything.

Hi, @Markus Johansson I was doing tests with standby signal on and off, and it seems that it doesn't matters.

@Christoph Puetz what display configuration do you have, dual or single, if dual what devices configuration are you using ? i.e. (two TVs, one TV and one projector,).

@Christoph Puetz @Slawomir Garbarz Do I understand it correct that you face issue after an update to project to external screen as well? 

My current version is 3.0.10.0.
According to the last requirements you need a TV supporting CEC

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt790552.aspx

A consumer TV used as a front of room display needs to support/enable the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) feature of HDMI so that it can switch automatically to an active video source from standby mode. This feature is not supported on all TVs.

These are high-end TVs, so that this is not the problem - especially as it worked fine before the upgrade to version 3.

@christophe limet I agree with   @Christoph Puetz , we also are using high end SAMSUNG MEC Series professional displays with CEC and other industrial features and it doesn't realy matters, if this all features are on nor off. This issue appears randomly, from time to time without any information in event viewer. The system just hanging on (in our case we can see just frozen screen from one display), and needs to be restarted by pressing button for about 10 s. I realy hope that this issue will be fixed, because it is a roadblock for our deployment of 20-30 SRSv2 across the company.

Hi, the same issue reproduced with LG 60UH620V. HDMI CEC enabled.

Looks like problem appears when device rebooted with disabled TV:

1. TV is off;

2. Restart SRS device and wait until Skype room app loads;

3. Power on the TV and you will see only Win 10 background.

As I told, this issue appers after update to 3.x Skype app.

And another question about CEC workflow - how it should work? does it mean that PC would automatically power on TV?

Hello
If my understanding is correct, the CEC improvement implemented in 3.12 doesnt work as expected ? We use a different system with a crestron MPC-5 which switches On and Off the TV on demand. Is it correct ?
Currently we use Logitech Smart Dock.

In the single front of room display configuration, SRS v2 effectively creates 2 app windows, one for the console screen and another for the front of room screen. When power management wants to turn off the display (by default 10 mins of idle outside of a meeting), SRS v2 ceases to send any video signal, expecting the displays to go into standby. When motion sensor is triggered, the video signal is resumed, expecting the displays to turn back on automatically.

This power saving behavior is pretty standard for PC displays, but it appears that TV displays (including HDMI CEC enabled ones) seem to behave a little differently.

In this case, it sounds like the front of room display is turning back on automatically at the same time as the console display. If it is not, then it would be an issue with the HDMI CEC behavior.

The problem appears to be the front of room display showing the windows desktop instead of the SRS front of room screen. My guess is that when we stop sending a video signal, causing the displaysto go into standby, the front of room display disconnects itself (as if you turned the TV off), causing Windows to think that there is only 1 display (the console screen) connected to the system. This would cause Windows to relocate the SRS front of room window that was previously placed on the front of room screen to the console screen underneath of the console window that is currently visible.

I'll look into how we can handle this case better at the app level. In the meantime, you may want to look into if your front of rooms displays can be configured such that standby doesn't cause the display to disconnect from the PC. FWIW, I understand our internal deployments have a box between the SRS and Front of room TV to achieve this.

Hope this helps,

Dave [MSFT]