Skype for Business online connectivity issue

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I would just like to know if we have a tool that we can use to test our Skype for business connectivity issue. I normally check the status through Teams but i do not understand what should be the acceptable Jitter and round trip result. Please see attached sample. 

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advise on how we can optimise/stabilise our Skype for business connectivity.

Looking forward to receive your expert opinions

William

4 Replies

Hi,

It is hard to advise how to optimize your network without knowing how it is setup currently. But start with entering Microsoft network as soon as possible from the client, so rather use local internet breakout at office sites instead of central internet breakout.

These are the numbers you want to compare to. Your Round-trip time is very high so that is something you should try to minimize.

Metric Target 
Latency (one way) < 50ms 
Latency (RTT or Round-trip Time) < 100ms 
Burst packet loss <10% during any 200ms interval 
Packet loss <1% during any 15s interval 
Packet inter-arrival Jitter <30ms during any 15s interval 
Packet reorder <0.05% out-of-order packets 

You can use the Network  Testing Companion tool to check quality from client computers. @Erwin Bierens have a good blog article describing how to install it.

https://erwinbierens.com/skype-for-business-and-microsoft-teams-network-testing/

@Linus Cansby Were already using local internet breakout but we are still getting this latency. Is this something that ISP can fix?

@Linus Cansby Were already using local internet breakout but we are still getting this latency. Is this something that ISP can fix? Thank you for responding Linus :)

You have to figure out were the latency is, if it is in your internal network or with your ISP. Your ISP might be able to help you with that. Did you check with the tool i linked to?