Skype for Business on a Chromebook

Brass Contributor

In the previous SfB IT Pro forum (on Yammer) there was a thread about the ability to install SfB on a ChromeBook.  Has anyone done this? Can you point out any docs on the same?

Thanks!

11 Replies

I've also asked for this on uservoice. So far, nothing. The consumer skype client is being enabled for video on Outlook.com but as these are different products under the hood I suspect different time frames. For me, this would a great feature for using a basic web based user license but really start to use skype for business beyond just IM. So..sorry to not have an answer but hopefully adding some weight to your voice!

So far so bad - its 2018 and nothing ;)

I guess if Teams works on Chrome? (or at least the functionality that it's going to replace S4B then this is a more likely avenue?).

Does Teams do calls via the Chrome browser/Chromebooks?

Not the same, but you can use IM in the browser. Log on to office.com and the go to outlook. In the upper corner you will find a Skype for Business logo after some loadingtime.

Hi,

it was less the IM function it was more the use of voice client, (which would make the Chromebook more of a replacement for a PC). Have seem and tried some versions of Chromebooks able to use the android versions but these have been a bit 'buggy' and slow and sort of an official way to get round using a Chromebook and S4B together.

I suspect the nature of the W10S devices and chromebook war will make this highly unlikely to change any time soon....

The Android app works on Chromebooks that have can load android apps.  

I've installed and it loads properly, but I am as yet unable to join any meeting. Will continue looking for the solution.

I installed the Android app on my pixelbook and cannot login.  I can login to the website direclty, but the android app running on my pixelbook always fails to login.

If it matters -- I'm NOT a skype for business customers, but I'm trying to use this to collaborate with MY customers, who are Skype4Business customers.

Thanks

Was this ever resolved by Microsoft?

I have installed the android version of S4B on my chromebook. But it is constantly freezing up. I have to re-install the whole thing at least once a day. I get the dreaded APPLICATION HAS STOPPED WORKING message has stopped working. Then, when I try to run it again, I get the same thing all over again. Eventally, I have to re-install. I have done this at least 20 times in the past 20 days.

Honestly, Microsoft needs to fix this. So, so frustrating. 

@Pernille-Eskebo S4B

What the hell is wrong with you guys, why can't you make a system that works, for all these years you have had issues with Apple and not your apps don't @#$ing work with Google. Why can't you understand that people do not want to use Windows they are in-secure...

Anyways, my problem is that your Skype For Business doesn't work for Chromebook and all I need this **bleep** thing for is to attend calls!!!