SOLVED

Skype call issues - Bad device state

Iron Contributor

Hi all,

during past two weeks I have noticed increased number of incidents regards Skype for business calls. Users are complaining that suddenly the other end stops hearing them. 

We have Skype for business is running on premises, Skype client version 15.0.4927.1000

While digging in the Skype for business server reporting I find something like this:

Capture device: Headset Microphone (5- Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000) 
Capture device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208 
Render device: Headset Earphone (5- Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000) 
Render device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208 
Microphone glitch rate: 1 per 5 minutes 
Speaker glitch rate: 291 per 5 minutes 
Microphone timestamp drift: 0,01126528% 
Speaker timestamp drift: 0,00931025% 
Microphone timestamp error: 0,0355660505592823 ms 
Speaker timestamp error: 0,17209330201149 ms 
Echo event cause: 
Voice switch cause: Bad device state 
Echo percent send: 3,09% 
Echo percent microphone in: 11,04% 
Send signal level: -26 dBov 
Receive signal level: -21 dBov 
Send noise level: -62 dBov 
Receive nosie level: -57 dBov 
Echo return: 
Initial signal level RMS: 125,749099731445 
Capture device: Transmit (Plantronics D100-M) 
Capture device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208 
Render device: Receive (Plantronics D100-M) 
Render device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208 
Microphone glitch rate: 14 per 5 minutes 
Speaker glitch rate: 618 per 5 minutes 
Microphone timestamp drift: 0,00761747% 
Speaker timestamp drift: 0,00914335% 
Microphone timestamp error: 0,0629489421844482 ms 
Speaker timestamp error: 0,107901096343994 ms 
Echo event cause: 
Echo percent send: 1,55% 
Echo percent microphone in: 1,55% 
Send signal level: -19 dBov 
Receive signal level: -21 dBov 
Send noise level: -70 dBov 
Receive nosie level: -57 dBov 
Echo return: 
Initial signal level RMS: -53,501651763916 

I notice that each time speaker and microphone are glitching which ends in the result 

According to MS explanation

Voice switch cause:
Reason why a call had to be placed into half duplex mode in order to prevent echo. In half duplex mode, communication can travel in only one direction at a time, similar to the way users take turns when communicating with a walkie-talkie. Select one of the following:
[All]
None
Bad timestamp
Echo
DNLP (dynamic nonlinear processor)
Low complexity
Bad device state
Post-AEC echo (acoustic echo cancellation)

This explains why the user "drops out" from the call and others stop hearing him, but this not help to resolve the issue.

Each time users were using headsets certified for Skype for business (Plantronics SAVI W410, Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000), we tried updating Skype for business client, headset firmware if available, audio drivers, but the next day users return saying that problem continues to exist. 

Any ideas on how to resolve this? It would be easy to say to change the headset for the user, but when you buy certified device for $100+, then you expect things to work.

19 Replies
I've seen something like this earlyer with a non-microsoft conferencing product. The problem was the onboard audio hardware. We disabled the on board audio and the problem was solved. Maybe you can give it a try.

I doubt this is an issue with headsets as you mentioned, there're users complaining about it. Perhaps you can try to isolate by measuring the quality without headset, check on the network signal (WIFI), network utilization, recent updates, etc.?

Haven't noticed anything regards network quality. There were different cases when users were in the office using LAN, Wifi or even connected remotely using private home network. The only thing I can think of that has changed is that we updated client PC's with the latest Skype for business version
(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3191876/may-2-2017-update-for-skype-for-business-2015-lync-...).
Normally I don't focus if user is connecting outside the organization, there are too many factors that we can't control. I'll use the Lync Precall Diagnostics Tool on user's PC to test the overall network performance before and during the call; it's useful to verify if it is causing by network utilization.

On the other side, I'll uninstall the updates and monitor the situation too.

Hi Arunas, we are experiencing exactly the same issue. Infact our SfB installation is brand new.

We are using Plantronics 740-M (SfB compatible) and mid call, the user can only hear but cannot be heard by others. The only way out is to disconnect and reconnect from the call.

Happens with Lync Peer-peer, conference and Lync-PSTN calls as well.

We do not have any workaround and our SfB go-live is on hold as this is a show-stopper for us!

Per Microsoft: Cause:

Typically, only new hardware that uses a USB 3.0 interface is affected by this issue.

This issue occurs because Windows 7 doesn't provide native USB 3.0 driver support. Intel provides the USB 3.0 driver stack. This causes timing issues in combination with the Skype for Business audio drivers

Workaround

To work around this issue, delete the Intel USB 3.0 drivers and use Windows USB 2.0 drivers instead. It is recommended that you engage with the computer OEM and Intel for the correct removal procedure and a further resolution, including obtaining updated USB 3.0 drivers.

Currently Dell is working together with Intel to fix the issue. Lenovo and HP computers are also affected

Unfortunately, the workaround recommended is impractical as it disables the Bluetooth as well and causes additional issues.

The last we were told is to wait for Intel!

In our opinion, this seems to be a major show stopper in SfB's adoption and enterprise readiness. If people cannot reliably and consistently talk without fearing their call will get interrupted mid-way, its a collaboration breakdown.

Anyone else has ran and figured a workaround, please share

This is interesting to keep an eye on it. Do you have official communications from Microsoft/Lenovo/HP/Dell?
And is this specific to Win 7 only?
Very good information! Does anything change if we change the operating system f.e. to Win10? Have you tried to ask that? Strange that MS did not suggested to change operating system, instead of waiting for Intel :)
best response confirmed by Arūnas Malūkas (Iron Contributor)
Solution

So we have contacted Microsoft support ourselves. The plan on how to solve this was addressed very quickly, as we were informed we were not the first ones contacting them regards the same issue.

The first step was to apply latest USB 3.0 drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-... or from here 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=usb+3.0+driver

2. If problem persists check in BIOS if is possible to disable USB 3.0 or through device manager

3. If problem still persists update windows 7 to latest rollup - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

We applied 1st step for few of our users couple days ago and so far so good, no one reported any problems since then. I really hope that this is the fix for our issues.

Hey Arunas, that's so reassuring to hear!

I was planning to update the thread with the same that after upgrading my drivers using the intel link received from Microsoft, the problem has not re-occurred for any of the users including myself.

the updated driver indeed works!

Good to hear, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful article. Is it work on older usb 2.0 port.

As some machine have both ports .

Hi Biren,
Per our experience, the update installs on machines with both USB-2.0 and 3.0.
However, on relatively older machines with just USB 2.0, the update gives an error
Regards, Shekhar

Well it should give an error, because this update is for USB 3.0. In our company I haven't heard any complaints about USB 2.0.

HI
we have some Lenova S30 think station wth CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
with Windows 6.1.7601 SP: 1.0 Type: 1(Workstation) Suite: 256 Arch: x64 WOW64
and caller user agent Caller user agent: UCCAPI/16.0.4546.1000 OC/16.0.4546.1000 (Skype for Business)
and
i have updated BIOS and driver but still it showing high glitech rate
Capture device: Headset Microphone (Sennheiser SC70 USB for MS) Capture device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208
Render device: Headset Earphone (Sennheiser SC70 USB for MS) Render device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208
Microphone glitch rate: 7752 per 5 minutes Speaker glitch rate: 40 per 5 minutes
Microphone timestamp drift: -0.00033379 % Speaker timestamp drift: -0.01085997 %
Microphone timestamp error: 8.6209132859949E-05 ms Speaker timestamp error: 0.0434007197618485 ms
Echo event cause: Voice switch cause: Bad device state
Echo percent send: 0.00 % Echo percent microphone in: 0.00 %
Send signal level: -20 dBov Receive signal level: -16 dBov
Send noise level: -60 dBov Receive noise level: -65 dBov
Echo return: Initial signal level RMS: 120.131301879883

Callee Device and Signal Metrics
Capture device: Headset Microphone (Sennheiser SC70 USB for MS) Capture device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208
Render device: Headset Earphone (Sennheiser SC70 USB for MS) Render device driver: Microsoft: 6.1.7601.18208
Microphone glitch rate: 0 per 5 minutes Speaker glitch rate: 0 per 5 minutes
Microphone timestamp drift: 0.00103712 % Speaker timestamp drift: 0.00090599 %
Microphone timestamp error: 0.0185670908540487 ms Speaker timestamp error: 0.0152506502345204 ms
Echo event cause: Voice switch cause:
Send signal level: -16 dBov Receive signal level: -20 dBov
Send noise level: -66 dBov Receive nosie level: -59 dBov
Echo return: Initial signal level RMS: 50.5053482055664

Caller Client Event
CPU insufficient time: 0.00 % Microphone not functioning time: 0.00 %
Speaker not functioning time: 0.00 % Clipping time: 0.00 %
Echo time: 0.00 % Glitch time: 0.00 %
Voice switch time: 5.00 % Low SNR time: 0.00 %
Low speech level time: 0.00 % Near end to echo time: 0.00 %
Device howling event count: 0 Device multiple endpoints event count: 0
Low network bandwidth time: 0.00 % High network delay time: 0.00 %
Poor network receive quality time: 0.00 % Poor network send quality time: 0.00 %

Callee Client Event
CPU insufficient time: 0.00 % Microphone not functioning: 0.00 %
Speaker not functioning time: 0.00 % Clipping time: 0.00 %
Echo time: 0.00 % Glitch time: 0.00 %
Voice switch time: 0.00 % Low SNR time: 0.00 %
Low speech level time: 0.00 % Near end to echo time: 0.00 %
Device howling event count: 0 Device multiple endpoints event count: 0
Low network bandwidth time: 0.00 % High network delay time: 0.00 %
Poor network receive quality time: 0.00 % Poor network send quality time: 0.00 %

Audio Stream (Caller -> Callee)
Codec: SILKWide Sample rate: 16000
Audio FEC: False Bandwidth estimates: 79404 Kbps
Packet utilization: 5885
Avg. packet loss rate: 0.00 % Max. packet loss rate: 0.00 %
Avg. jitter: 0 ms Max. jitter: 1 ms
Avg. round trip: 0 ms Max. round trip: 1 ms
Avg. concealed samples ratio: 0.00 % Avg. stretched samples ratio: 0.00 %
Avg. compressed samples ratio: 0.00 %
Avg. network MOS: 4.28 Min. network MOS: 4.25
Avg. network MOS degradation: 0.01 Max. network MOS degradation: 0.04
Avg. sending MOS: 3.83 Min. sending MOS: 2.06
Avg. listening MOS: 3.70 Min. listening MOS: 2.33

Audio Stream (Callee -> Caller)
Codec: SILKWide Sample rate: 16000
Audio FEC: False Bandwidth estimates: 89541 Kbps
Packet utilization: 6034
Avg. packet loss rate: 0.00 % Max. packet loss rate: 0.00 %
Avg. jitter: 1 ms Max. jitter: 2 ms
Avg. round trip: 0 ms Max. round trip: 2 ms
Avg. concealed samples ratio: 0.00 % Avg. stretched samples ratio: 0.00 %
Avg. compressed samples ratio: 0.00 %
Avg. network MOS: 4.29 Min. network MOS: 4.29
Avg. network MOS degradation: 0.00 Max. network MOS degradation: 0.00
Avg. sending MOS: 4.54 Min. sending MOS: 3.25
Avg. listening MOS: 4.33 Min. listening MOS: 3.01

can't found the solution .It it required the skype client update of OS update ?
Hi Biren,

In our case upgrading USB 3.0 drivers was enough. Have you tried to upgrade usb 3.0 as per MS recommendation?

Yes we have done Bios update and upgrade USB 3.0 

That's very unfortunate to hear. I think you should contact MS support so they could give you an advice on your specific issue. Would be nice to hear the outcome.
I was dealing with a case where there were > 100 Glitches per minute. After extensive troubleshooting, we realized that a USB Docking Station was in use to reproduce the issue. The drivers for the docking station were provided Displaylink, and were causing the issue. Just upgrading the Displaylink Drivers resolved the issue. It's important to ensure that all Audio/Video and Media (USB) drivers are upto date.
Run MSInfo32.exe to save the results. Now compare the drivers installed, and update to latest drivers. If you still have issues, it would be best to check for any application(s) that create Interrupt Requests (IRQ) to monitor your Speech/Audio abilities. Any audio engine ( not Cortana), may also be causing something similar.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Arūnas Malūkas (Iron Contributor)
Solution

So we have contacted Microsoft support ourselves. The plan on how to solve this was addressed very quickly, as we were informed we were not the first ones contacting them regards the same issue.

The first step was to apply latest USB 3.0 drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-... or from here 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=usb+3.0+driver

2. If problem persists check in BIOS if is possible to disable USB 3.0 or through device manager

3. If problem still persists update windows 7 to latest rollup - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

We applied 1st step for few of our users couple days ago and so far so good, no one reported any problems since then. I really hope that this is the fix for our issues.

View solution in original post