SfB drops connection every 37 seconds

Brass Contributor

We had a sporadic problem where Skype for Business online meetings on our conference room PCs would drop every 37 seconds.  After months of pulling my hair out, I had a stroke of luck and diagnosed it.  It's a 100% reproducible bug, but the Microsoft support person didn't appear willing to escalate it to the product team; instead, he started trying to get me to downgrade to earlier versions of Windows and Office.  I wasn't interested in that and dropped the ticket.  The service request # was [REG:116012813643029] SRXCAP:616010793477988ID

I want to make sure the product team is aware of the issue so it can be fixed. Can someone confirm whether it's an acknowledged bug?

Summary of the issue:

Non-domain joined Windows 10 box with Office 365. 

Multiple local accounts in Windows.  Each local account is configured with their Office 365 credentials.

If more than one user is signed in (to Windows and to Skype for Business), then the currently active user's SfB sessions will drop every 37 seconds.  Logging out of the other user's account fixes the problem.

Feel free to contact me for more detail if needed.

8 Replies

Hi, I Have a similar scenario. When trying to connect to a space i cisco meeting server, skype4b drops the call after excactly 37 seconds. 

CMS reports: 

Call 6252: ending; local SIP teardown with reason 6 (expected ack not received) - connected for 0:37.

This however does not happen to every client. Could point to a client version issue.

Do you know if there was issued a fix/hotfix for this issue other than logging out of the other accounts.

Regards

Kjetil

I have not had any communication about this at all, and we still have the issue with the latest client. Interesting that it shows up in another scenario. I will re-open the case this week.

Hi Dale,

Short answer: for Skype for Business we do not support multiple user sessions (against separate Microsoft accounts) on the same instance of Windows OS, even if non-domain joined.

Longer answer - SfB is intended primarily for domain joined/managed SMB to Enterprise IT.  We do support non-domain joined scenarios, but expect to still respect the single SfB account per machine boundary.  We're interested in hearing more about your specific use case however to understand the intended usage of maintaining more than one 'live' user session on a given OS instance.  To that end sending you a DM . . .

I've run into this limitation in training scenarios.

Our trainers previously maintanied a separate, clean profile on their machine that they used for technology demonstrations.

Because of this Skype for Business Limitation, instead of a second profile for training purposes, our trainers now use VMs in Hyper-V (Windows 10). While this isn't a workaround for your use case, we are affected by the same pain point :)

I wonder if we could develop a script that logs a user in and out of Skype4B when switching profiles. . . Potentially leveraging the client APIs or BounSKY as a go-between. . . 

I might take a poke at this. . . 

https://bounsky.com/

@Greig Sheridan

Regards, 

Brandon Long

Modality Systems

I wonder if we could develop a script that logs a user in and out of Skype4B when switching profiles. . . Potentially leveraging the client APIs or BounSKY as a go-between. . . 

Hi Brandon,

bounSky can easily sign you out in command-line mode:

"bounSky 2015.exe" /site=0

https://bounsky.com/user-guide/#commandline

:)

- Greig. 

Got a proof of concept working. This automatically logs a user out of Skype when the switch to another windows profile, helping to prevent the 37 second disconnect error. 

Scheduled event triggered "On local disconnect from a user session on local machine" This runs a batch file containing a single line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\greiginsydney\bounSky 2015\bounSky 2015.exe" /site=0

You could take the next step and reconnect to a site "On local connection to a user session on local machine"

If needed, you could also write to a log, check for open conversations, add other logic, etc. . . 

Regards,

Brandon Long

Modality Systems

Very interesting, I have just seen this with two domain accounts on a domain-joined (and Azure AD joined) machine. In my only test after finding this post, the connection stayed up for 42 seconds when there were two users logged in, and once we rebooted the PC the connection was stable.

Hi Kjetil,
were you able to fix this issue?

Thank you!
P.