SFB Bandwidth Calculation Made Easy

Iron Contributor

We have always been asked "how much WAN bandwidth is required for SFB based on X numbers of users" ? If we didn't set required and expected bandwidth right for customers, I am very sure you will persistently hear "poor Audio/Video quality and performance" from them. 

It's critical that we have a base bandwidth requirement stipulated and aligned customer's expection from the very beginning to ensure that customer is fully aware of how much bandwidth SFB will potentially consume based on a number of combined scenarios and to determine if a customer's current network meets calculated SFB bandwidth requirement. 

I devised a very concrete and verifiable bandwidth requirement calculator for that. I don't mean this to be a laser-like-precision or military-grade-precision, but I did design this calculator to have a micro-torch-like-precision with continuous improvements along the way.

Whenever we meet with customers, we would be able to calculate SFB bandwidth requirement confidently and comfortably using this excel-based calculator.  Please stress to customers that this calculation is "only and strictly for SFB" - No other traffics are considered.

I made this calculator extremely simple and easy to use while maintaining accuracy. All you need to do is just "select number of concurrent users in respective scenarios" and you are done - nothing could be simpler than that. 

SFB Bandwidth Calculator Download link: 

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SFB-Bandwidth-Calculation-32f7f6e3

PS: You should always recommend customer to implement QoS in their network for better A/V quality as well. I wrote a guide on "QoS in SFB Made Easy" here  https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/QoS-in-SFB-Made-Easy-and-d7ffa783

Any feedbacks, please contact me at thetnaing@thetnaing.com.

7 Replies

This is really great!

@thet naing wrote:

SFB Bandwidth Calculation Made Easy

We have always been asked "how much bandwidth is required for SFB based on X numbers of users"?
If we didn't set required and expected bandwidth right for customers, I am very sure you will consistently hear "poor Audio/Video quality and performance" from them. 

It's critical that we have a base bandwidth requirement stipulated and aligned customer's expection from the very beginning, to ensure that customer is fully aware of how much bandwidth SFB will potentially consume based on a number of combined scenarios and to determine if a customer's current network meets SFB bandwidth requirement. 

I devised a very concrete and verifiable bandwidth requirement calculator for that. I don't mean this to be a laser-like-precision or military-grade-precision, but I do design this to have a micro-torch-like-precision with continuous improvements along the way.

Whenever we meet with customers, we would be able to calculate SFB bandwidth requirement confidently and comfortably using this excel-based calculator.  Just don't forget to stress that this calculation is "only and strictly for SFB" - NOT all other traffics are considered.

I made this calculator extremely simple and easy to use while mainting accuracy. All you need to do is just "select number of concurrent users in respective scenarios" and you are done - nonthing could be simpler than that.

Bandwidth Calculator Download link 

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SFB-Bandwidth-Calculation-32f7f6e3  

PS: You should always recommend customer to implete QoS in their network for better A/V quality as well. I wrote a guide on "QoS in SFB Made Easy" here  https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/QoS-in-SFB-Made-Easy-and-d7ffa783 

I get a 404 when clicking on the links in your post.

Please try to use a different browser to download it, you should be able to download it.  If not, please email me at thetnaing@thetnaing.com, I'll send it to your inbox. Thank you.

Thank you, ErWin. 

Yup. Me too

Hi, just wondering if bandwidth with ip/ethernet overhead is calculated? Is ask because in the SFB Calculator is see 65 kbits as assumed bandwidth for G 711. But including overhead this should be 90?