Screen sharing lag

Brass Contributor

We have been using S4B for almost year and we have always been frustrated by a lag in screen sharing transitions.

We see it a lot of problems with power point desktop sharing where it can take 30 seconds for a slide to change

We use Skype for Business online 

We are sharing the desktop to present

6 Replies

Hi @Ben Killoy - Have you talked with support to make sure there isn't something wrong?  If you haven't yet, I would suggest you reach out to them, first.  This sounds like a frustrating experience & they might be able to help you troubleshoot.  That's not a normal experience.

If you are sharing slides, I would recommend loading them into the meeting rather than sharing them - you can see thumbnail previews when presenting, too. 

Maybe the community can share some best practices they've encountered when desktop sharing like making sure you are on a wired connection rather than wireless...

Thanks!

We have had this issue as well and disabling hardware acceleration in the office apps has made a significant improvement for a number of our users, resolving the issue for them. We're actually rolling that fix out to everyone via a registry key as it appears to address what had become a common complaint.

Thanks for all the replies. It appears turning off hardware acceleration is working.

Microsoft should really put a notice out to customers. We have opened several tickets in the past and spent hours debugging but the issue is not consistent making it quite frustrating.

We have solved it by disabling VBSS for Conferences. 

More information you can read here:

https://finoon.com/skype-for-business-online-sharing-delay/

I'm glad (well not really, I guess) we're not the only ones who see this issue.  Shutting things off like VBSS and hardware acceleration isn't really a good option since those things are beneficial to most of our users.  I recently moved application sharing to its own QoS DSCP tag (AF31) and that seems to have helped, but we still get random reports of this happening.

I've seen another recent uptick in reports of this problem. Has anyone heard of a fix that doesn't involve turning off beneficial features?

It looks like it's still happening to others, even after updates that were supposed to have fixed it:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/54296b55-da1a-4fb8-95e6-0bcff62cd940/screen-s...