Rendering Recordings

Copper Contributor

Hello Community!

I have a question about rendering Skype for Business recordings.  In our shared conference room spaces we often have people recording their Skype meetings.  The issue that I have discovered is that when it saves the video to the local machine, when the users log off the equipment in the room it halts the rendering of the meeting.  It only resumes if the user logs into the machine in that room again.

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

Thank you,

7 Replies

Are they recording it on a device that's designated for that room?  If so, the solution would be for them to join separately on another laptop and perform the recording there, just make sure it joins the audio (even if it's muted/silenced) so it can record the audio.

They are recording on the in room PC that is hooked up to the equipment.  The issue with the recording on the laptop is that Skype will not allow two instances of the same user to access the same meeting.  It will drop them from the PC session as soon as the access it on their Laptop or vice versa.

Yes, they'd have to log in as a different user.  I understand now.  I usually have a separate account for the conference room with it's own Skype account and mailbox.  The device is logged into that account which is locked down as much as possible.  When someone wants to host a meeting in that room, they just invite the conference room to their meeting, and from the room login they can one-click join on any device.

I'd suggest you'll have to record using a different account, deal with the issue (as it's somewhat by design), or consider using a dedicated room account.  Sorry.

The real solution is cloud recording.  Get on that, Microsoft!

Yeah, what @David Phillips said.

Coming soon in Teams is meeting recordings that happen without your client being involved, the recordings are posted straight to Microsoft Stream and are linked back to the channel where the meeting happened. Look for it appearing in the first half of 2018.

Building a good meeting room experience from regular Skype clients hasn't really been possible, the Skype Room System V2 fixes a lot of issues but comes at a cost of using a Surface with a special dock and dedicated software to run the room.

@Steven Collier wrote:

Yeah, what @David Phillips said.

Coming soon in Teams is meeting recordings that happen without your client being involved, the recordings are posted straight to Microsoft Stream and are linked back to the channel where the meeting happened. Look for it appearing in the first half of 2018.

Building a good meeting room experience from regular Skype clients hasn't really been possible, the Skype Room System V2 fixes a lot of issues but comes at a cost of using a Surface with a special dock and dedicated software to run the room.

Surface Hub is a great meeting room experience, but also with significant cost.

Can't wait for the Teams cloud recording.  What about cloud recording for non-Teams events like town halls and CEO quarterly meetings or videos that require editing?  Those would not be tied to a specific team, and would rather be scripted, company wide events.  I'm guessing the 1H 2018 offering is just the tip of the iceberg.

Skype Broadcast is also moving to Teams with a whole bunch of new capabilities that were described at Ignite ...

Capture.PNG