QoS

Brass Contributor

If QoS isn’t activated on the network, will it still help to apply QoS settings on the server and client?

Scenario:

A user is in the process of copying a large file to a network drive, and receive a video call, will Windows prioritize Audio/Video in relation to file copy operation?

5 Replies

Hi - QoS needs to be properly configured and up and running across your network first, to make use of any DSCP markings in place on the server.

I know, but this customer didn't enable QoS on the network :(

But will it still help per to per calls, when both clients are on the same subnet?

That's a shame :( 

Peer to Peer on the same subnet would be client DSCP markings only, as the media doesn't hit the servers. Again the markings would need to be honored on any switches / routers on that subnet.

Although it probably won't make any major difference across a LAN, as there shouldn't be any significant bandwidth constraints (all clients are connected at probably minimum gig speed, unless on WiFi) like you normally have across a WAN connection...

This customer primarily uses WiFi, unfortunately, so I don’t expect QoS to improve anything.

But my question about Windows behaving as a router/switches, and will prioritize traffic locally on the PC is still not answered.

Setting any policy based QoS on windows machines, without the network piece (LAN/WAN), won't offer any benefit.