SOLVED

Polycom VVX 600 and MFA

Steel Contributor

Has anyone had any luck with the Polycom VVX 600 and signing into S4B when you have MFA enabled on your account?  Or for that matter any polycom device?  I've tried app passwords and those don't seem to work either.  I haven't seen any documentaiton anywhere if this is supported or not, so just curious if anyone has any inforamtion about it and if it's not supported, when it might be.

38 Replies
Hi Ben, I asked our Polycom representative directly two weeks ago and was told that it is on the roadmap for a future release but no date so far.

Using BToE and an app password I was able to get this configured.  Just used the App Password as part of the Skype for Business Client login and it passed the creds to the VVX.

Ben, what version of Polycom UCS are you using? I have upgraded my phones to 5.5.1 and was able to login over the web. The phone will give you a code to enter along with a link. Wnen you go to the link it sets it up at the HW level. Hope this helps.

Thanks Christian!

Kyle, I'm on a mac, so unfortunately there isn't a BToE connector that I can use to go this route. I tried an app password right in the phone settings via the browser and didn't have any luck there.
Scott, I'm on 5.5.1 as well. Were you using BToE as well or just going straight to the IP address of the phone? If I use the IP address to access the phone in the browser I'm just given the "normal" domain, user, password boxes to type the info in. I'm not seeing a code to enter with a link :(

Thanks,
Ben

I am fighting the same problem with an VX310 as well.  I have tried both the BToE method and directly via the phones web management console.

Both methods tell me my credentails are invalid when using an 'app password' with MFA configured on the account in Office 365.  

Scott, I do not see the link/code that mentioned when doing the BToE setup.  I am using the latest BToE from Polycom and Skype 2016.  Can you provide more details on your steps?  

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Actually, it turns out I found the steps that Scott mentioned at the following article -- http://blog.schertz.name/2016/12/polycom-ucs-5-5-for-vvx-phones/.

It looks like the new 5.5.1 software has a 'Web Sign-In' option that Scott mentioned.  On my phone I chose 'Sign-In' and was given the option for 'Web Sign-in'.  It stepped me through a process with a url and access code that successfully tied the phone to my account.

Now my Polycom phone is working with my Office 365 tenant with MFA enabled.

Thanks! Having to reset everyting to get the option how to log on was the piece I was missing.  My account was already in there, so I've never seen the option to log in via the web.  I'll try to reset everything tonight and see if I can get the option of how to log in to display :)

I'll let you know what I find!  Thanks again for the link!

~Ben

Just got mine working tonight.  I did have to do a factory reset though to get the web signin option to show up.  May have been some other reset options that would have worked...but try a couple without luck and then just figured I would do a factory reset.  Worked like charm!  Thanks everyone for the input!

I would like to add that the Web Sign in option is strictly for Office 365 Skype Online users and will not work for VVX phones signed into S4B on prem deployments.  I have yet to hear when MFA support for scenarios where Skype is provided on prem and Exchange is in Office 365 will be coming.

I had the same problem and was able to login via the Web login method. 

However I am facing different issue now. Every time I disconnect the laptop & BToE gets unpaired, Polycom phone gets logged out. Also, if the phone / Laptop is not used for 3-4 hrs (especially in night) or laptop goes to sleep mode, Polycom phone gets logged out. Its an absolute pain when someone has to reach and phone is logged out. Did any one faced the same problem? 

So far I have tried checking every possible configuration, but no luck. appreciate any clues here. 

I have MFA enabled and can sign in using the web sign-in method but am having the same issue with the phone logging out overnight. It's a huge pain to reach for the phone and see it is logged out...

I have tried fiddling with all of the available "stay signed in" options I could find in the phone config, but none seem to solve the issue. 

Anyone have any luck keeping the web sign-in auth active for long periods of time? I'm wondering if it is just a restriction/max-life thing they have on the web sign-in auth tokens or something.

I've also started having all kinds of issues with this.  Some with signing in, if/once I do manage to get signed in, I'm usually signed out overnight as well.  What started as a great experience has definitely gone hill quickly, to the point I rarely use the phone anymore b/c I have to sign-in every time I want to make a call (and rarely get calls b/c I'm rarely signed in).  Been using the desktop client most of the time now unfortunately.  Hopefully they can fix this...

Ben

I went through a multi-day torture session with support trying to use regular username/password sign in on the phone instead of the web sign-in hoping that would fix the login timeout issue. I set up an app password for the phone, but it won't authenticate with that (bad username/password errors) and support finally told me that it's a problem on Polycom's side of things...I usually give up when I reach the "it's someone else's fault" section of the MSFT support workflow chart, so I think it may be a bust. 

Just happy that I'm doing this testing before committing to rolling this service out to everyone here!

Thx for the reply. Good luck!

Thanks for this thread Ben. We have gotten some VVX 401 units in for some of our Skype PBX users (full cloud) to trial. I was also having fun and games signing in with my MFA enabled account. The next day all was well when I entered the App Password, scratching my head my colleague mentioned that it can take a while for newly created App Passwords to start working - Doh!!. Thought I'd post here in case this intel might be of use to others.

To clarify here: the VVX platform does not yet support Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) for any scenario other than the new Web-Sign In method.  So while core MFA support has been included in the UCS firmware it's only currently leveraged for using the Web Sign-In process with SfB Online accounts.  If requiring MFA for authentication for on-premises SfB Server-homed accounts the phone will most likely not sign-in.  NTLM+TLS-DSK is still required for the phones today.

Hi everyone,

I'm having the same difficulty as others with using the Web sign in. I get it signed in ok, but then after a few days it signs itself out and then i have to go through the web sign in process again.

Anyone had any updates on this at all?

thanks

Neil

HI Neil,

Still having the same issues here all these months later. Still can only sign in via web sign-in (cannot use userid/password even with APP password for MFA). And still get auto-signed out after a couple of days despite turning off every available "sleep" option I could find. 

Frustrating...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Actually, it turns out I found the steps that Scott mentioned at the following article -- http://blog.schertz.name/2016/12/polycom-ucs-5-5-for-vvx-phones/.

It looks like the new 5.5.1 software has a 'Web Sign-In' option that Scott mentioned.  On my phone I chose 'Sign-In' and was given the option for 'Web Sign-in'.  It stepped me through a process with a url and access code that successfully tied the phone to my account.

Now my Polycom phone is working with my Office 365 tenant with MFA enabled.

View solution in original post