SOLVED

Office 2016 CTR - Disable Skype for Business 2016 auto-join meeting reminder

Brass Contributor

We have installed Office 2016 and some users have noticed that Skype for Business will auto-join them to a Skype-enabled meeting at the scheduled time. Usually, a toast will pop up from the meeting and if you click it you will be automatically joined to the meeting. Can anyone provide the registry settings or method to disable this unwanted behavior?

7 Replies

What kind of client are you using, O365 Clicktorun or MSI package?  Which version? I saw the same behaviour approximatel 6 month ago with a preview build of SfB client and all the sudden the "feature" was removed as far as I can tell.

@Markus Johansson can confirm the behaviour change earler in the year. Raised a case with Microsoft Premier support and they in turn spoke with product team. Response was this was a design change, we asked for it to be reverted and got the response that this would not happen. It caused us a lot of problems with Security sign-off and in the end we mitigated by setting meetings so everyone was held in the lobby until the meeting organiser than accepted them into the meeting.

We are using CTR 16.0.73369.2024 (current channel) and SfB is 16.0.7329.1015. I just asked our Premier Incident Manager about it as well and he says that he is running 2016 and gets the meeting reminder toast but never clicks it. He's going to test it and confirm but based on posts on the topic it doesn't sound hopeful that the PG would consider adding a toggle off switch. We may file a DCR anyway...

best response confirmed by Glen Steffens (Brass Contributor)
Solution

In the SfB options, under Skype Meetings, there is an option: 'Don't show notifications when Outlook is running'. Checking this should remove the notification that the user clicks on to join the meeting.

Perfect, thanks for the tip and glad to know there is a user-friendly option to disable it!

This works, but only if Outlook 2016 is running. If you quit Outlook without first quitting SfB, then SfB will try and auto-call you to join any meetings in your calendar

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but...

I liked the option to have Skype popup a notification when I have a meeting. Unfortunately, just got a new laptop and the 'Don't show notifications when Outlook is running' option is not available.  I was running SfB 2016 on my old laptop as well.  But I think I had unchecked this option before it was removed and it stuck.  Anyone know a registry setting that controls this?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Glen Steffens (Brass Contributor)
Solution

In the SfB options, under Skype Meetings, there is an option: 'Don't show notifications when Outlook is running'. Checking this should remove the notification that the user clicks on to join the meeting.

View solution in original post