New Persistent Chat server from W2008R2 to Windows2012R2

Iron Contributor

Hi, I have a customer that runs Persistentchat on a upgraded server who has windows2008R2 with Skype for Business. We want to move the whole Persistent chat into a windows 2012R2 (virtual) with skype for business running.
The customer has Skype for business Enterprise with SQL server 2012R2 running mirroring mode. Since databases are located on the SQL01 server in the mirror, well I am not sure about how to build the new server, export the database and put it back on the "SQL01".
To export was no problem but I can't use the SQL again.
Must I to it like this?
1. Create a new Persistenchat server in the topology
2.  name the new database server
3.  install a new SQL server import the PersistentChat database on that server and then publish the topolgy
4. install the new pchat server
5. then import the database from the export
6. start the services on the new pchat
and then check number of  rooms, categories and so on.

Anyone got any good advice ?

Best Regards
Kai Stenberg 

2 Replies

You cannot deploy multiple MGC databases on the same SQL instance. If you need to use the server, you should create an additional instance (on both servers in your mirror setup) and create a DNS CNAME for the new pChat server.

To get the rooms and messages from the old pChat server to the new pChat server, you should export persistant chat data using Export-CsPersistantChatData cmdlet and then import the data to the new pChat service using Import-CsPersistantChatData. Do not try to import a database from another pChat server, that will seriously break your new pChat service before you even get it started.

/Kenneth ML

Hi, so from what you say, I can export the data and then import them on a new database server and then place that into my SQL mirror cluster. And then we should be fine :) hopefully.