Media Flow in Skype for Business Hybrid

Iron Contributor

User 1 is homed online and creates a meeting and invites 2 meeting room resources (Polycom Trio's 8800 with Polycom Visual+ boxes) with SfB capabilities. The Polycom SfB accounts are homed on-premise and located in different city's.

User 1 doesn't join the meeting, but the 2 Polycoms do. It is my understanding that these 2 devices should connect to the organisers home pool, as explained in the link below. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/3e1dc9dd-3eca-4797-8fec-531ecf061116/media-flow...

What we are seeing is that the 2 Polycoms are traversing our MPLS and connecting into our on-premise Edge server. We can see this as the DSCP tagged video and voice traffic from the Polycoms is traversing the MPLS.

What I want them to do is breakout of the local internet connection of each office where they are connected. Is the above as expected or should they be breaking out locally to the SfB online pool?

3 Replies
Hi Craig,

i would say this is expected. Since the hybrid setup you have is a federation between server and online. Clients from the sfb server side would always use the media route (via edge) to reach the other party. The only case where the clients on SfB server would directly connect to the remote edge is if there weren’t a federation in place. Local edge pools would also allow you to not traverse the mpls and connect via local edge/internet.

Will the media flow from the on-prem Edge to the SfB Online edge servers if all of the Polycom are behind the on-prem edge servers still? Seems like not the best route to take, so me have to have a think about putting an edge server, as a test in one of our branch sites. We were told by a consultancy company that the media would breakout via the local internet breakout.

We also have HDX offsetting for our VDI environment which I now think I am going to test to see if this traverses the MPLS or breaks out locally.

The on-premises clients can use the local breakout if they are homed in the cloud.