error enabling Unified Messaging - number already registered

Copper Contributor

Using skype for business 2015 with exchange online. 

Getting the following error when attempting to enable voicemail for a specific user. 

"The phone number you entered has already been registered by someone else"  see attached image

confirmed the number is not duplicated in the skype for business control panel using this command:

Get-CsUser | Select-Object DisplayName,SipAddress,LineURI | Export-Csv -Path C:\CsUser.csv -NoTypeInformation

12 Replies

Hi Brian

This will be indicating a duplicate number within Exchange Online and not Skype for Business on-premises.

http://jackstromberg.com/2014/01/office-365-the-phone-number-you-entered-has-already-been-registered...

Regards

Andrew J. Price

Yep! Exactly what Andrew said

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I did see that site, but

when I run the following PS command it doesn't find any reslults. 

Get-Recipient -ResultSize Unlimited | where{$_.emailaddresses -like “*EUM:*removed*”} | fl displayname,emailaddresses

I haven't checked shouldn't it be $_.ProxyAddressess -Like not emailaddresses?

Hi Mark,

Either $_.emailaddresses or $_.ProxyAddressess are accpeted and return the same results. 

Capture.PNG

Maybe an easier way Get-UMMailbox | fl Extensions 

Andrew,

The Get-UMMailbox | fl Extensions was very helpful.  I see the ext "7832" I'm trying to apply assinged to another user.  Can you advise the best way to change this?  Can I just disable UM for the user with 7832.. then re-enable with the correct ext.  Then attempt to enable 7832 to the correct user?

Hi Brian

At the moment, the supported method is to disable UM for the user and re-enable. Any previous voicemails, greetings and settings will be reainimated when enabled again.

thanks

Hi Mark,

I've tried disabling um.. but it won't let me change the ext saying it's sycned with active directory.  When I look at the AD user attributes, they match what the skype for business 2015 server says. 

OK, then you will need to find the other user with this extension, open proxyaddresses attribute in adsi edit for that user and remove the EUM: extension - Once you have done this, synch AAD connect and wait for replicatation.

The duplication will be in your on-premises AD and that's ultimatley where you'll need to remedy it.

thanks

Mark,

The EUM is not populated in the proxyaddress user attribute field.  This is a skype for business server 2015, using exhange online for UM for Voicemail.  The msRTCSIP-Line attribute is populated though?

Yeah the SIP line attribute will be your Skype number.

Its interesting your setup because on every sfb server and exchange online um customer i have deployed i have had to set the UM extension as part of the PS enablement or GUI enablement of the UM mailbox. It doesn't pick this up just from Skype Line URI automatically.

You'll need to disable all duplicates then, or assign the other user a new extension number. To be honest if you're using this purely in a SfB world and you don't use Exchange UM Auto Attendant extension dial then it really doesn't matter what the number is in the extension as long as it is unique.