Edge moving to Chromium: What it means for Skype for Business & Teams developers

MVP

The rumours were true! Yesterday, Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore (CVP for Windows) published a blog post announcing that Microsoft would be adopting Chromium as the rendering engine in Edge, replacing their home-grown alternative, MSEdge, which was originally a fork of Trident, the rendering engine in Internet Explorer.

Broadly, I’m in support of this move. Having fewer rendering engines will make life easier for web developers and contribute to a more consistent web environment. Chromium is not Chrome, it’s an open-source project which Microsoft will be (and already is) contributing to, so I’m not worried about Google taking “more control” of the web, as many (including Mozilla, who I think should know better) have suggested. This move enables Microsoft to make more impactful contributions across the web via contributions to Chromium, as well as freeing them to concentrate their development efforts on areas that aren’t already been dominated by other players.

But… what does it mean for Skype for Business and Teams developers? That’s what this blog post is about.

blog post continues: https://blog.thoughtstuff.co.uk/2018/12/edge-moving-to-chromium-what-it-means-for-skype-for-business...

0 Replies