SOLVED

Cloud PBX - Tenant Location

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

is it neccessary to have an US-based tenant to use Cloud PBX with an US-based number or can I use an Europe Tenant with an US-based number?

Cheers

Holger

11 Replies

Hi Holger,

The Skype pbx is coming to europe i know UK already is rolling out. so you will be on the same tennant with a number of your country or even get your old number ported.

Have not seen the roadmap when it is coming. I think the main threshold at this moment are the phone companies and the contracts microsoft is closing for it.

Kr,

Paul

I am currently looking for this feature in a customer project; according to MS website this feature is available in france right now
best response confirmed by Holger Diekhoff (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I talked to MSFT. It's possible to have an Europe tenant and use Cloud PBX and PSTN in an US location with an US-based number.

I also Talked to MS Support and I get these answer:

More explicitly, in order to be able to purchase and assign the PSTN Calling Domestic or Domestic and International plan, you need a tenant to have been registered in the country for which these plans are available.

So it's not possible to ad US-based number to a user on a Europe Tenant. Because there are no Callin plans available for instance Switzerland, where my Tenent is registered.

Or I'm wrong?

I was actually trying to do the same today. I provisioned on a European tenant a test user with location = US and assigned him an E5 license. On the licensing page, under E5, cloud pbx is on as is everything else.

The SFB admin console, on the voice tab, states that there are no users with PSTN calling plans (correct) and thus doesn't want to let me start assigning numbers.

Checking the o365 admin portal under subscribe there aren't any pbx related pstn calling plans available nor does there seeem to be another way to get the PSTN calling SKU for him.

To add to this thread - according to Microsoft support it really isn't possible to enable pstn calling for individual users if the tenant domain is in a country where pstn calling isn't officially available.

My case number was SRX616112391868312ID.

While this may be correct for your specific case, this is not the general case.  We definitely do have customers located in Europe who are using PSTN Calling in the US.  The issue is around the ability to transact the PSTN Calling license more than the location of the tenant.  Meaning, the company needs to have an ability to license PSTN Calling where it is sold (currently US, UK & Puerto Rico).

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your reply although it just makes it even more confusing ;)

How does one transact the PSTN Calling license correctly, then, for a tenant domain based in Europe, with an European billing address (European credit cards, etc.) but for users whose location is set to US?

The O365 portal certainly doesn't have the magic - at least not by itself. The very nice and courteous outsourced support claims it isn't possible at all. I assume you are part of the SFB product line as you know better. ;)

I mean - the company I work for does have an established American subsidiary and all that if that's what is required but how is that combined to the account I cannot figure out.

That's right. But you need a billing address in US (or UK, Puerto Rico).

If you have an existing EA it is nearly not possible to license it.

I'm in the situation that I want to license 200 US Users for PSTN Calling but it is not possible within our EA and MSFT is not really interested in a solution.

To sum up: PSTN Calling is a great solution but for not US-based companies with a US location nearly not possible to license.

Our ability to deliver a solution quickly should never be equated with our interest in solving the problem.  We definitely see this is a big impediment for customers and are actively investigating how best to provide PSTN Calling services around the world yet restricted to specific countries and with the appropriate tax and regulatory compliance in place. 

That being said, if customers have the ability to transact the software license the PSTN Calling capability will operate regardless of the physical location of the tenant.

Cloud PBX is available globally. PSTN Calling is in preview in some European countries, such as France.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Holger Diekhoff (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I talked to MSFT. It's possible to have an Europe tenant and use Cloud PBX and PSTN in an US location with an US-based number.

View solution in original post