SOLVED

CCE register appliance failure

Iron Contributor

Im attempting to register a CCE appliance but the cmdlet fails with the error msg highlighted in bold below.

PS C:\Users\shawn> Register-CcAppliance
The RegisterInstance log is in C:\Users\shawn\CloudConnector\ApplianceRoot\Log\azhyperv_RegisterInstance+00_00_2017_07_19_12_11_55.log.
Task:RegisterInstance starts at 2017-07-19T12:11:55.5867815+00:00
The current scripts version is 6.0.9319.377.
There are no instances currently running.
Started Initializing the account for CceService...
User: CceService exists.
User: CceService is already a member of the local Administrators group.
User: CceService is already a member of the Hyper-V Administrators group..
Initialize CceService account finished.
New-ManagementAddressAllocator : The management IP prefix will be deleted based on the prefix length setting. Please
update the .ini file, and then run it again.
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\CloudConnector\Internal\MtConfigurations.ps1:200 char:35
+ ... Allocator = New-ManagementAddressAllocator $managementIpPrefix $manag ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-ManagementAddressAllocator

New-ManagementAddressAllocator : The management IP prefix will be deleted based on the prefix length setting. Please
update the .ini file, and then run it again.
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\CloudConnector\Internal\MtConfigurations.ps1:200 char:35
+ ... Allocator = New-ManagementAddressAllocator $managementIpPrefix $manag ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-ManagementAddressAllocator

My management switch config from my .ini file is below:-

; The management switch to provide network connectivity of host and VMs.
; ManagementIPPrefix in MUST be configured as different subnet from other internal IPs.
; Just as the default value shown, ManagementIPPrefix is 192.168.213.0, while AD IPAddress is 192.168.0.238
; The ManagementIPPrefixLength should be a value in range [8, 29].
ManagementSwitchName=ManagementSwitch
ManagementIPPrefix=192.168.1.2
ManagementIPPrefixLength=24

Having not installed CCE before im unsure what the problem is. I've already created the vSwitch (ManagementSwitch) and the vSwitch's IP address doesnt clash with the IP address in the .ini. Its a /24 network also so no problem there from what i can see? Any ideas what im doing wrong or what the problem may be?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by shawn harry (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I didnt twig the ManagementIPPrefix= Is supposed to be the subnet hence the error message i was seeing. After changing this to x.x.x.0 the Register-CcAppliance completed fine. Shout out to Max Sanna! Cheers dude!

There should be an RFC for naming standards :)
Yeah does make you wonder who named that and why? Hardly intuitive.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by shawn harry (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I didnt twig the ManagementIPPrefix= Is supposed to be the subnet hence the error message i was seeing. After changing this to x.x.x.0 the Register-CcAppliance completed fine. Shout out to Max Sanna! Cheers dude!

View solution in original post