Caller ID and City location information on SfB telephone numbers?

Copper Contributor

What is the deal with changing the caller ID and location information for SfB telephone numbers?  We have used quite a few of them and city information assosciated with the numbers does not match the office and emergency location set.  Also an option where you can add caller ID would also be really useful.

Anything in the works here?  We have several locations where people next to one another with very similar numbers will show completly different city information when they call third parties.  

Thank you!

PS: these numbers are in USA.

4 Replies

Hi,

We still don't offer the caller ID feature through our portal but you can open a support ticket and it can be done/set. We are looking into exposing this through the portal/powershell for selfservice.

As for the location, I didn't fully understand the scenario. Are you saying the numbers in the admin centre are showing in different cities? The person receiving the call sees it as a different city? Please share a bit more information about this scenario and I'll probably be able to further help :)

Thanks

I opened two tickets and support and they said caller ID cannot be set.  Do you have more info on this as I can ask them again.  The lastest ticket was just last week.

For example we have an office in LA.  The emergency location for the office is set to its address in LA but when users call out the other end sees all sort of LA cities and suburbs on the caller ID that are no where near the office.  Problem here is the client spent some big $ on a pretigous office location and the caller ID is not reflecting this (quiet the opposite in fact).

Any help here would be very much appreciated as Office 365 support are pretty clueless as to what this issue is.

I have opened a number of cases and always get told this is not possible.

What exactly do we need to say to get this accomplished?

Hi Doug,

Let me explain a bit better the caller ID and city location.

Caller ID is a feature that users can configure, for example, you can configure it to show your name or company's name to the called party when their phone rings. The configuration of this feature is on the plan and probably support can help you setting it, depending on the country your number is at. I believe this feature is not supported yet but support may help.

Location Information is different. This is solely based on your phone number. Each phone number is linked to an area (for example, a city or part of a city) and this is dictated by the first 6 digits of the numbers. In SfB (at least for now) we only deal with the area code (first 3 digits) which could lead to unacurrate location on the location information services. Unfortunately the only way to change it is by changing the number itself. To do that you can release the numbers you currently own and search new ones.

What I would suggest if you fall into the second category is to try to open a ticket in Support saying something like "I would like to have X numbers in Y city".

Please let me know if this helps and which one is your case.