Call Queue on mobile limitations - why it is a business problem

Iron Contributor

Call Queue's don't work on mobile devices - call just doesn't get routed to the device. That is the Microsoft official position - DOES NOT WORK WITH MOBILE.  I don't know whether there is a "fix" in the pipeline or whether it is a more fundamental limitation that won't get fixed. Here is why it is a Business problem.

1. Training - it dilutes the "You can log on anywhere with any device and do your work message"  -- I did not get the important calls over the weekend, Er yes that is because they came in over a call queue.  What's a call queue ???  -- the end user doesn't necessarily even understand what a call queue is and that they are CQ agent in situation X but not in situation Y.

2. Out of hours response. E.g. University - thousands of students = statistical certainty of student death on campus every X months. Policy requires a Director level response. The directors are not on call per se. The are not sitting around waiting for a call on  sunday afternoon. However, the on duty accomodation bloc supervisors NEED to get hold of a director - any director.  Easy solution - publish an confidential emergency director level response number in the relevant handbook and add ALL directors to that call queue. Call that number and A director will pick up - Er except it is a sunday afternoon and they are all on mobile clients. 

3. Part time / temporary worker campaign. Easy to scale up to hande the expected volume of calls after a marketing event or when tickets go on sale for e.g.  People may work a couple of hours a week or once every X weeks - give them a SfB account, apply the licenses when required and they can use a BYOD interface, super economic way of doing it - except you can't because the BYOD staff member will want to use a mobile client and the call queue won't route the calls to them. Another example, I need a Czech speaking telephone agent for first line handling of a low volume of calls. I could recruit say 20 Czech speaking students from the local university, give them a SfB account on BYOD. Out of the 10 in a CQ I have a very high chance that 1 will pick up the call before I need to route to the very expensive external translation service. The students get paid on a calls answered basis - but this is only economic where the solution is BYOD and CQ based. 

The CQ does not work on mobile limitation takes a very elegant situation - log on anywhere and do your voice call based work - and all of a sudden it is a bed of organisational complexity, training issues and annoyed users who can't even see where the problem lies - it works perfectly well when they are in the office and everything else is working fine with their "phone"  but they keep not getting the calls........

If the problem is not governed by a fundamental limitation of the technology in the mobile client then Call Queue working on mobile is one  fix / feature that I would suggest needs to be given a high priority. 

1 Reply

Hi Nicholas, thank you for your post! We have gotten a lot of similar feedback, and it was a high priority item for us to address Mobile scenarios for Call Queues.

As it happens, we have enabled Call Queue support in the latest Mac (June) and Mobile (July) client updates, including Caller ID Display. Please see this Blog post for the details on what's new in Call Queues and Auto Attendants in July 2017:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Blog/What-s-new-for-Auto-Attendants-and-Ca...