SOLVED

Your thoughts on published and archived documents

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Im building our structure for documents, rotuines and our goal is to be ISO9001 certified.

My boss wants the structure to be separate libraries

Originals - Word

Published - PDF A

Archived - PDF A

I agree with this but as I see it the files in published and archived is preety much the same. When I publish a new file I move the old one using a flow to archived. Then I have the version history in the file since I overwrite it. I can then restrict the library so the users can read the old versions.

I can´t get my head around wy I need to have the archived library really.

Your thougts on this and how are you doing?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by 36048419 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@36048419 I build a lot of quality systems using SharePoint and I agree you really don't need the Archive in this scenario as the version history in the Published library will hold the information you need.

The thing to consider is the audit requirements. If an auditor wants to see the previous version or you are required to provide a group of documents then you would need to roll back the version that is currently published. In that scenario users could potentially see the previous version if it wasn't rolled forward again to the current published version. 

I hope that helps.

@Steve Knutson hank you very much, didn´t think about that.

That makes sense and makes the structure with 3 libraries seems good.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by 36048419 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@36048419 I build a lot of quality systems using SharePoint and I agree you really don't need the Archive in this scenario as the version history in the Published library will hold the information you need.

The thing to consider is the audit requirements. If an auditor wants to see the previous version or you are required to provide a group of documents then you would need to roll back the version that is currently published. In that scenario users could potentially see the previous version if it wasn't rolled forward again to the current published version. 

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post