Workflow based on multi choice list

Brass Contributor

I have a workflow in SPD 2010.  I have an Infopath 2013 form for a sharepoint 2013 list.  The form has a multi-choice list with six departments. Each department that is selected revels a hidden section with it's own set of fields to be filled in by a user.  For example, one of the fields in each hidden section is a date field showing when the work in that section was completed. 

The workflow would auto populate a completion date for the form once all the selected departments' "date complete" fields where entered.  

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

I would not recommend doing this in the worklfow. Do it in the InfoPath form with OnChange event's attached to the fields that need to filled out with logic checking to ensure they are not blank. Doing it in the workflow would require the workflow to be run when the item changes and that will require you to code the workflow to check (I'm going to guess) a whole bunch of other business logic conditions. Also change based workflow tend to trigger a lot and you'll see that in your logs behind the scenes.

If you are going to do this in workflow - break down the different form areas into Custom Tasks - get all the data via the task (customize the form for the task) in there and then after the task is marked as completed write the complete set of data back to the form.

Thanks Tim.  I'm now trying to get this done in Infopath.  However, I cannot figure out how get the form completion date to auto-populate once each of the individual groups have filled in their respective completion dates. 

Once submitted the multi-choice field output looks like this - DepartmentA,DepartmentB

I have another field titled Divisions_Hidden that a workflow populates when an item is created or changed. I selected in the "Return field as" option "Choices, Comma Delimited". I get the following output -    DepartmentA,DepartmentB

Here is where I get stuck.  How can I make the form recognize that once the two required departments populate their respective "Completion Dates", the form is completed and to assign the form a completion date?

Thanks for your help!