Workaround for accidentally deleting files in Sharepoint online

Copper Contributor

We are using Online Sharepoint and users sometimes deleted files accidentally and after couple of months they realize these files required, as I know this can be recover up to 92 days but I want to know if there is best practice can be provided for similar cases.

- is it possible to edit delete confirmation prompt to highlight message "file can't be retrieved after 92 days"?

- what about deleting files from users synced folders? once it deleted and it goes to machine/SP Recycle Bin, is the file in machine recycle bin will remain more than 92 days? can it be restored after 6 months ?

- is there an option to add delete confirmation for synced folder as well?

Regards,
Ehab

13 Replies
Look into turning in preservation / retention policy for your SharePoint sites. This will keep all the files in a separate location for restore for time specified. I have mine set seven years.

It does add a little bit if delay to deleting files and can make it harder to delete folders but it will preserve your files from this issue.

@Ehab7 

Answers to your questions:- 

is it possible to edit delete confirmation prompt to highlight message "file can't be retrieved after 92 days"? No, afraid it is not possible.

- what about deleting files from users synced folders? once it deleted and it goes to machine/SP Recycle Bin, is the file in machine recycle bin will remain more than 92 days? can it be restored after 6 months ?

This depends on whether the file is on stored on the device or just an online only file when deleting.  

Online Only - removes the file from the users PC, does not put it into the users recycle bin. Puts the file into the SP recycle bin. 93 days applies

On the users PC - removes the file from the users PC, puts the file into the users recycle bin. Puts the file into the SP recycle bin. User is able to retrieve the file at any time unless the local recycle bin is emptied. 93 days applies to File in SP recycle bin. 

- is there an option to add delete confirmation for synced folder as well?

There is already a confirmation that appears, nothing out of the box can change this to my knowledge. 

@Chris Webb

Thanks for response.. but I am looking workaround of accidentally deleted files.

As I understand retention policy will delete not modified files ie. 7 yrs not modified will go to recycle bin, then it will take 30 days then go to second stage. right?

I want like workaround for files deleted by users by mistake and increase 93 days to custom date.

Regards,
Ehab
There is not a way to increase the 93 days.

Only option would be a backup product. TBH all the organisations I have worked for accept the 93 day limitation mostly because they are used to 30 days on prem and see the 93 as a vast improvement.

I have mentioned in previous posts that the way to get buy in for the 93 days is to get the organisation to sign off on the 93 days and then if users do delete data and don't realise for 93 days, IT are covered.

@Andrew Hodges 

Thanks for your response! 

It would be better if second recycle bin in SP is stay for longer or to be cleared manually only when it's required as the 93 days not that long specially if there is critical data! 

I'm still looking for solution for this and hope will find something :) 

for delete confirmation on synced folder, I don't get any delete confirmation message when I hit Del button. 

At least Microsoft if can customize the delete confirmation to notify users files will not be retrieved after 30/90 days! will be good idea specially when users experience on file server mostly files can be retrieved via routine backup.

Regards,

Ehab

You set a preservation policy. All files deleted go into the preservation hold library for whatever time period you specify. It’s like a 7 year or whatever you define recycle bin that users can’t delete from. That’s why I said preservation/ retention can’t remember what the policy is called they kind of cross terms.

@Chris Webb 

So it's like adding Preservation hold library before First Recycle bin, whenever user delete a file will go there first, and we can set like 7 yrs before its going to first recycle bin, right? 

-is this can be done by Sharepoint Site owner for specific SP's ? 

- what permission required to setup Preservation hold library? if any guide link will be helpful..

Many thanks :)

No. It makes a copy to the library. The recycle bin still works the same to end users. Permissions require a global admin or someone with compliance files to turn on.

I’ll dig up an article later when I get in but you can just google SharePoint Online preservation and should get examples.

@Ehab7 Just a thought.  Could you set up a flow that sends a message to the deleter saying "you deleted xxx files.  Did you really mean to do that?"  Heck, you could even send it at a later time within the deletion recovery period.  

@Ehab7 Here is a great blog post covering the scenario. Hope this helps! https://joannecklein.com/2017/10/31/the-office-365-preservation-policy/

It's a bit older so it's a little different getting through the menu options but overall it's the same setup. 

@Chris Webb 

Thanks for all info, a question I am a bit confused about it, if I setup Retention Policy  for 7 years for Preservation hold library & deployed for one of A Sharepoint site, if there file not modified for 7 years will it move or take copy only to Preservation Hold library? as it might be a document not required to be changed but should stay forever!

is there any additional cost for enabling Retention Policy ? we are using O365 E3

No cost but it will use data storage to retain the files. It will not remove files it only preserves deletions.

@Ehab7

Hi Ehab! If you're looking to protect your org from accidental deletions then AvePoint's Office 365 Backup should be able to help. We're a Microsoft partner that can search and restore granular O365 content regardless of when the item was deleted. 

Let me know if you have any questions!