Will Modern Pages ever allow "Web Part Connections" (to link related lists)? How about "Filters"?

Steel Contributor

One of the most powerful and, frankly, underused features in SharePoint (2010 and 2013) was the concept or practice of "connecting" related web parts. We used it ALL the time for things like:

• A list of Vendors connected to lists of Quotes or Invoices
  • A list of Requests connected to a list of related Log Entries (each step in the request process generates a Log entry)

Also, it was helpful for creating "template" pages. For example, we would have a Query String Filter that connected to a bunch of lists on the page, each of which had a common column (e.g.: "Term"). So, when creating a course catalog, we didn't have to build a new page for each term, just use that template page with the right query string in the URL. 

As slick as the Modern Page experience looks and feels, it seems like they're driving toward the model of creating tons of separate pages rather than a few reusable ones. While creating these pages is easier in the Modern Experience, enforcing consistency between them is pretty much impossible (that's where the idea of a template page really shone).

So, since I can't find any chatter about these features/functions whatsoever, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else had seen or heard anything. Heck, maybe even someone from the mothership (calling @Mark Kashman or @Jeff Teper) could chime in and let me know if I should just give up hope on ever using Connections or Filter web parts on Modern Pages.

42 Replies

Did anyone ever get this sorted ?  Im creating a series of linked lists (Department feeds to Worsktream, which feeds to User Story) 

This means we click next to department, it shows us the open workstreams, and we click next to one to show the associated user stories (one to many).

Classic allows me to connect the child list to the parent list, but as per the previous threads nothing in modern.

Its compounded for me as try as I might, I cannot embed the classic web part or wiki page inside Teams (just declines to show).

Really want to teach this 'old' feature as opposed to using anything from the power family as the teams will be using the functionality themselves.

Removing such a basic but usefeul feature in favour of look and feel really doesnt do justice to the great SharePoint we know and love (and earn the $$ on).

@Nic Wood Sorry, not I have not seen any progress in that direction

@Chad_V_Kealey

There is the following in the Office365 Roadmap:

SharePoint - lists and libraries web parts consume dynamic data

Let web parts talk to other web parts and your pages and experiences become more dynamic with data and interactive. You will be able to configure web parts to get or give their property values from other web parts, including updating those values based on what is selected. And now, both SharePoint List and Library web part can consume dynamic data from other source web parts.

Featured ID: 57307

Added to Roadmap: 11/4/2019

Last Modified: 12/31/2019

But now, March 2020 and it is still in development...

This is really a needed feature.