SOLVED

Why can't SharePoint count?

Brass Contributor

I have loaded up some videos for people to view in order. In File Explorer they show in order (like you'd expect, but SharePoint can't count and thinks that 11 through to 19 are all numbers smaller than 2. The strange thing is that it knows that 11.1 is greater than 11.
Surely this is a basic issue that should have been resolved years ago???

TomPeregrin_0-1643339507958.png

3 Replies

@GraemeNZ this has always been the case with SharePoint, going back 20 years. The way round it is to make sure you use zeros in your filenames where necessary, e.g 01-11, 01-12.., 01-19, 02-01 etc. We do a similar thing on our business management pages:

numbering.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott 

Thanks for your reply. I see from your signature that you are a classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1967 Morris Traveller didn't have power steering, disc brakes, ABS brakes, air conditioning or air bags, which was fine for the time. However car manufacturers have moved with the progress of improvement.

It is disingenuous to say SharePoint was like this 20 years ago so it will always be like this. My point is that SharePoint has an inconsistency with the rest of Microsoft, and more important an inconsistency with customers' expectations, so how come this hasn't been fixed over the years? It was only a couple of years ago that Classic SharePoint was modernised.

best response confirmed by GraemeNZ (Brass Contributor)
Solution

There is a feedback portal request for this to be sorted at https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/f088e85e-de1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8914.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GraemeNZ (Brass Contributor)
Solution