SOLVED

Where does the SharePoint quota for sites without groups and Office 365 videos sit?

Copper Contributor

On our SharePoint online classic view, it shows that we have 1.85Tb of quota for SharePoint. We've used about half of it. I realised much of these are taken up Microsoft Videos. Each channel taking from that quota. We also have a few Communication sites created directly from the SharePoint Office 365 app. Thanks to the new SharePoint admin, I can now see that they don't have groups attached. Do these also take from our 1.85Tb quota?

1.85 Tb is actually not a lot considering that videos are part of that quota.  Buying addition storage is not cheap. We've asked. There is also a problem that you cannot create a Communication site from a Group. The features of a Communication site such the horizontal nav bar instead of the quick launch and full width pages are great and is what's likely to sell the new SharePoint to a specific proportion of our users (creatives). I definitely have a couple of use cases where I benefit from the visual presentation of  a Communication site but with the same storage allowance of an Office 365 group. Is there any thing on the roadmap to enable a creation of Communication site from a Group?

3 Replies
I know that Microsoft Stream has it's own video quota but the older Video's probably is shared with SharePoint storage.

There is a post that this summer they are greatly expanding default storage size by about 20 times the current limit so should should see upwards of 20TB of space here before long.

As for comm site templates, they said those are coming over the next 6 months so we'll be able to apply the comm site look to a Group site.

Thanks @Deleted. 20Tb will be great. As for videos, maybe I should start my migration to Stream. Back to my original question, do you happen to know if the Communication sites uses the SharePoint overall quota?

best response confirmed by Louis Kwong (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, they all fall under the same tenant / app storage pool.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Louis Kwong (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, they all fall under the same tenant / app storage pool.

View solution in original post