When Comments are enabled on modern pages. Can we only allow users to delete their own Comments

Steel Contributor

We are working on a sharepoint online classic team site. and from the sharepoint admin center site, i have enabled comments on modern site pages as follow:-

comments.png

but i have noted that contributor users can delete others comments and replies. so i am not sure if there is a way to restrict deleting comments on site pages, so that users will only be able to delete their own comments and replies??

second question. now when someone delete a comment or a reply on a comment from a modern page, then the comment or the reply will not be moved to the recycle bin... so in this case any user can delete any comment and we will not be able to track the comments that are being deleted and we will not be able to restore delete comment..

so can anyone advice on this issue please?

4 Replies
I believe there is not a setting to define who can delete comments and who cannot delete them. The reason why page comments don't go to the recycle bin is because they are not actually saved on a SPO list....they are saved in Azure so I'm afraid there is no way to recover them and also to track who delete the comments (I have just verified this is not captured by the Audit Log in the Compliance & Security Center)

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
I believe there is not a setting to define who can delete comments and who cannot delete them. The reason why page comments don't go to the recycle bin is because they are not actually saved on a SPO list....they are saved in Azure so I'm afraid there is no way to recover them and also to track who delete the comments (I have just verified this is not captured by the Audit Log in the Compliance & Security Center)

so i am not sure if i should really enable the comments on modern pages... because it does not make much sense to allow any contributor to delete any comment, and the user will know that his activity will not be logged and can not be recovered, and users will not get any notification about this
... i am seeing things from end users perspectives , they will not be happy with this ...

@john john Any update on this? Running into this issue now

@john john 

In both SharePoint 2010 in the past and more recently on SharePoint online, I have created a SharePoint 2010 workflow (using SharePoint Designer 2010 or 2013) using an impersonation step workflow on the comments list that I have built to immediately takes edit rights away from all other staff apart from the person who created the comment (as they may want to change or delete it). You can also build a step into the workflow to automatically email them telling them if the comment was approved or rejected if you choose to require content approval on the comments list. As far as SharePoint Designer workflows go, it's fairly easy to do. I agree that it is worrying that end users can edit or delete each others comments, as each comment inherits permissions from the comments list which needs to be set to give them all contribute rights so they can leave comments.