What to do with the SharePoint App on more complex solutions?

Silver Contributor

So I see the value in the SharePoint App for basic team sites, if you are doing pretty run of the mill team site type stuff.  Most of our teams are tranisitioning to Groups and using the Groups app instead.

But what are we supposed to do about the more complex solutions (things that cross multiple sites, just custom search and display templates, 3rd party forms and workflow tools).

We are getting lots of sites show up in the app that are not working like at all, and kinda clog up the SharePoint app with things that arent really useful or useable.

Scenario 1:

• I have a Site Collection that is used to manage a particular type of document
  • This Site Collection has a subsite for each region
  • Each library in each subsite is sharing the same inherited content type - users arent supposed to go to individual libraries
  • Users are directed to a custom search page (at the top level) - using search results web part, refiners, display templates etc.

Scenario 2

• I have a Site Collection called "Apps" that contains subsites for special solutions built on top of SharePoint
  • One subsite is using a 3rd party forms and workflow tool
  • Custom list views dictate what users can see, and the 3rd party tool dictates what kind of data they can update

I've got lots of situations like this.

I would request maybe some kind of site-level setting that would:

• Hide this site from the SharePoint app
  • Prompt the user to open the site in mobile web (with an option to choose where the site is that will open) -- for example, if a user went to any of those subsites that just hold documents, the app would prompt them to go to the top level site collection page in the mobile browser.
0 Replies