What's the best way to give a user edit and delete permissions to one Document Library folder?

Iron Contributor

I have a couple users who need permission to edit and delete files in a specific folder. They should be able to view all documents in the Document Library but only have escalated permissions for specific folders.  

I have this permission labeled "Manage" and have described it as "Can Read, Write, Edit, Delete. Full control of Docs.". Is it possible to give someone "Manage" permission for just one folder without breaking the folder's inherited permissions? 

I've found a section in settings that shows a user's permission level for the folder. I can see one user is given "Manage" permissions and I had another user for this folder set to "Contribute" - "Read, Write, Edit. Can not Delete.". I've changed the user's Contribute permission to Manage but the other user is telling me they are unable to rename files and are getting a response "Content approval is enabled for this library".  

I've checked Versioning Settings for the list and have confirmed that "require content approval for submitted items" is set to NO. 

7 Replies

@Anthony-123 

1. It is not possible to grant "Manage" permission for just one folder without breaking inherited permissions.
  2. User should be able to delete the items/files with Contribute permissions, check below documentation link.
  3. You can also use advanced permissions settings page for particular folder if "modern" manage access/share functionality is confusing.
    • Select folder, click on ellipses (...) and select "Manage access".
    • Scroll to the bottom of manage access popup and select "Advanced" link at the bottom right corner: ganeshsanap_0-1665070764736.png

DocumentationUser permissions and permission levels in SharePoint 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

As I've outlined, I'm not using the default permission levels so my "Contribute" doesn't have Edit + Delete.

Good to know about the Advanced option on the bottom! That was a pain to find it through library settings.

Still, this doesn't resolve the issue regarding the error "Content approval is enabled for this library" when it appears that I have this disabled.

@Anthony-123 Not sure about why you are getting error related to content approval. But, to rename files in SharePoint user will require delete permissions as well. 

Check this for more information: Permission Level which doesn't allow renaming file in document library 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Yep. The content approval error seems to be the issue to resolve at this point. Thanks.  

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 12.07.08 PM.png

@Anthony-123 Try turning OFF content approval using PnP PowerShell: 

Connect-PnPOnline -Url https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName -Interactive
Set-PnPList -Identity "Demo List" -EnableModeration $false

Else raise support ticket with Microsoft directly, follow: M365 support - online support 

I'm not sure if this fix it or not. Even though I had given users 'Manage' Permissions for a folder, some of the subfolders had Contribute and some had Manage permissions. I still had to go in and set a particular folder to 'Manage' then all its subfolders and files inherited its permissions.

Either way, thank you for the assistance and pointing me in the right direction! That Advanced button is key.

@Anthony-123 You're welcome! Glad it helped you.