What makes certain documentary Libraries have different sharing capabilities with same permissions

Copper Contributor

So I vae two libraries on the same home page, one can be shared externally with the "contribute" Permission level, but the other can only be shared within the organization, I havent purposely made any settings different and i cant find any reason that would cause this

2 Replies

Hi @NoahK9K ,

The permissions have to have been set to allow a document library to be shared externally.  At the library level you will see either external users or a security group with external users in it if the library has been shared externally. 

Some files inside the library may have been shared externally by any of your users if you have allowed external access but sharing a full library can only be done by someone with full control over that library.

By default when a site and subsequent document libraries are created the document libraries inherit their permissions from the site. If the permissions under - cog -> Library settings -> Library permissions are different for 2 libraries then one must have had its permissions un-inherited. 

Andy Hodges | ThinkShare | www.thinkshare.uk

@Andrew Hodges The really weird thing is that both libraries were inheriting permissions from the site i created them on, but the same permission level (contribute) was allowing external sharing for one but not the other, What does work is going into the library and giving full control.

But thats not Ideal, What I want to do is make it so they can view and share the files but not upload or delete, and that works fine on another hubsite with only a read level access but for some reason its not working on this other site