What is the gap like between Sharepoint REST and Microsoft Graph APIs?

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am developing a software to keep track of changes to files and folders made on Sharepoint. I am trying to figure out what API to use. My understanding is that Microsoft is giving more focus on Microsoft Graph API. I have been doing research on the differences between them. Based on older posts, it is my understanding  that you couldn't do things with Graph API that you could do with Sharepoint Rest APIs. At least that was the case in the past, and the goal was to build Graph API to a point that you use Graph API for all that. Here is a link to Microsoft 365 podcast.

What is the gap like now? If I want to keep track of changes to made to Sharepoint files and folders. What is the most effective way to get those events? Through Sharepoint REST or Graph API?

Thank you.

1 Reply
Both SharePoint REST API and Microsoft Graph API provide the capability to track changes to files and folders in SharePoint. However, Microsoft Graph API is the recommended API for building apps that integrate with Microsoft 365 services, including SharePoint. It provides a unified endpoint for accessing data and insights across multiple Microsoft 365 services, including SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, and more.

Additionally, Microsoft is investing heavily in Graph API development and adding new features to it regularly, whereas the SharePoint REST API may receive limited new features or updates.

So, if you are developing a new application or solution that needs to integrate with SharePoint, it is recommended to use Microsoft Graph API over SharePoint REST API.