What is the best List/Library template type to store our company pictures/videos

Steel Contributor

I have created a new sharepoint modern team site, which comes with these lists/libraries :-

contents123.png

now we need to create a place to store our company images and maybe some videos. so i am planning to create a new list/library to store those images and videos, but not sure which list/library template i should/preferred to use, as when i click on add new app, i got many lists/libraries types which can be used to store images and videos, such as :-

1. Document library

2. Picture library

3. Asset Library (although it is not showing inside our modern team site).

So what are the factors that determine the lists/libraries templates to use?

Thanks

7 Replies
All of them indeed are great to store pictures....it's true that normally the Assets Library is used to store pictures, but in the end we are talking about Document Libraries with different content types provided

@john john We just went through this analysis for one of our sites that's heavy on images. We decided to use a straight document library. It has a tile view that someone can select (but it doesn't stick if you use it in a webpart). It's also easy to use with the highlighted web part.

When you click on an image name you can click through all the images (there's a count and a > next) so that makes for an easy slideshow, and it's easy to add a thumbnail to a view with column formatting.

Using the image gallery webpart gives you a great experience, but it sticks your images into the Site Assets list, not a separate library. Coming soon is an update to the web part that lets you select a folder in a document library (theoretically). Once that happens, image gallery with a base document library will be great.

Picture library - you have to use the embed webpart if you want to show it on a modern page. It doesn't act nicely - it takes control of the page and scrolls down to the embed. That ruled out the picture library for us. It does have a nice slideshow though.

So for us, it's the document library, added a thumbnail to the view, and are waiting for the image gallery web part to be updated.

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
All of them indeed are great to store pictures....it's true that normally the Assets Library is used to store pictures, but in the end we are talking about Document Libraries with different content types provided

@Juan Carlos González Martínthanks for the reply. by "Assets Library" you mean the built-in "Site Assets" library which comes with any new sharepoint modern team site?

@john john I recommend using Stream for videos, you will get much better performance and a lot more functionality. 

@Dean Gross wrote:

@john john I recommend using Stream for videos, you will get much better performance and a lot more functionality. 

@Dean Gross  ok thanks for the info,, but what about the images?

@Iyyanar wrote:

@john john Better to use Picture Library.

@Iyyanar  can you please explain this in more details?