Want to disable SharePoint non-owners to invite new users

Brass Contributor

In the Office 365 SharePoint admin center under the site collections section I open the sharing screen for a site collection. There is an option to "Turn off sharing for non-owners on all sites in this site collection." This effectively unchecks all the boxes in the Access request settings page of all the sites in the site collection. However, I just found that they can still be re-checked by the site owners of the sites, also at subsite level, even after this. This means that what initially seems like a de-activation of the option to share the sites by non-owners is nothing but a reset of the Access request settings on the sites.

This is disturbing and puzzling as you would think changing such a key setting for the site collection in the SharePoint admin centre would have a permanent effect.

Does anyone know if this is the intention or if there is an option to completely disable the option that I did not catch?

Fig.1 shows the settings prior to turning off for the site collection. Fig.2 after. Then Fig.3 shows it being possible to activate at subsite level anyway - which actually resets the setting in the admin center also back to what is shown in Fig.1.

Fig.1 Non-owners allowed to shareFig.1 Non-owners allowed to shareFig.2 Non-owners not allowed (it seems...)Fig.2 Non-owners not allowed (it seems...)Fig.3 Non-owners Sharing being activated anyway at subsiteFig.3 Non-owners Sharing being activated anyway at subsite

2 Replies

At this moment there are 2 options that is disable shareing for all Sitecollections. Or assign the owners different permisions so they are no longer owner of the site.

I've just had a call with Microsoft and setting "Allowing non-owners to invite new users" to "disallowed" for a site collection" means only users that have never had access to the SharePoint Site. We thought it meant new users to the site\library. Existing users with read and contribute rights (non-owners) can still share anything they want and break inheritance on the libraries.