Versioning update to Document Libraries in team sites in SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business

Microsoft
44 Replies

Agree.

I'm also not convinced that the site assets library (which is a doc lib) won't be updated to default forced versioning and thow us back in a situation of over consumption of quotas due to files in this library (as the default group onenote).

Despite Onenote having it's own versioning control, this was never taken in consideration on sharepoint doc libs, hence our actions to limit versioning on site asstes library - which we could do easily. 

Will we be able to use Information Management policies to remove existing versions and retain the final document for archive purposes?  We'd like to offer this as an archiving solution for our users who may not want all previous copies of a final document.  Thank you.

I am not sure about the information management policies you mentioned. Depending on your scenarios, there are a couple of options I think:
1. if there is an approval process that contributors(users who upload and edit files) need to be involved, then why not just ask them to remove old versions.
2. if you want the library to have versioning off and contributors have no option to have versions(they need to make sure what they save is what they want to keep, no way to recover), you can either create doc libraries outside team site, groups and OneDrive for Business, or create a tool using CSOM to turn off versioning.
In essence you are confirming that:

Firstly - That there is no longer an option to chose and apply appropriate business rules, and that Microsoft is changing information and retention management policies (the business decision kind of policy, not your technical implementation kind) for all companies using this service

Secondly - customers now have to get a developer to build tools to re-apply a business decision (i.e. The appropriate level of versioning) on all new sites.

Q: Please confirm if this will be applied to sites running classic site templates or not?
You can create a new document library and go to advance.
Select "No" to versioning