Version Numbers Showing For Folders

Steel Contributor

We have turned on versioning for our SharePoint Libraries and because we use folders (there is no point suggesting we stop using folders as we have to for what we have now and have no choice), there are version numbers appearing beside folders.  I'm not sure how it's getting the numbers but one folder shows version #7, the folder has 4 subfolders so it's not a sum of folders, it's not a sum of the total version numbers of each file.  

Why do versions show for a folder? Can this be disabled somehow?

8 Replies
It shows because a folder is an item in a library / list just like a list item or document are. Anytime the folder gets renamed, and in the paste major upgrades would "modify" a folder, it will generate a new version.

We just uploaded these folders a couple weeks ago and none of the folders have been renamed. 

Can you post a screenshot? This is actually very weird and as Chirs have said, the version of a folder only changes if you change a property of it (folder name or folder metadata if you are using a custom folder content type)

Attached is a screenshot of both the Classic and New Experience.  These folders were migrated to SharePoint in Mid-July and folder modifications show earlier dates.

Assuming your migration tool copies versions it would also copy that version / numbers from the old location as well so they could have been renames or property changes over time. I know in the past On-prem upgrades would modify properties of folders and show modified often.

I agree with Chris,  one time we patched SharePoint 2013 with CU and it showed all libraries and some folders with Last Modified 1 day ago...

I use ShareGate and it keeps the metadata from the shared drive which sometimes has versions turned on.  So, if John Doe created that folder back in 2016 and renamed it 7 times, that could lead to that folder being on Version 7 after migration with date earlier.

Some migration tools also allow you to choose how many /which versions you want to keep AND the ability to change the metadata before migrating

Which migration tool did you use?  I only ask because the Microsoft one 'works', but we had some limitations and weird behavior when we tried it.

I'm using the Microsoft Sharepoint Migration Tool.  When it copies the files themselves, they are imported as version 1 so it's not copying versioning information.  We went from a psychical file server and there is no way to keep versioning history on a folder itself.  

We've never used SharePoint OnPremise.  We went from a basic file folder share on a Windows server and migrated them to SharePoint Online in July of this year.