SOLVED

Value in SharePoint list field disappears

Copper Contributor

In a SharePoint list I have a checkbox and a choice field with a lookup from another list. I create a new item and when selecting a value from the choice field and then checking the checkbox the value of the choice field is deleted. A video displaying this can be found here: https://webdevignnet-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/peter_peterdeleu_be/EbpN1ZesRw5NnnLWa2YqgScBOu...

The list is newly created and has no validation. Tested it with a brand new list on 2 SharePoint tenants: same problem.

Any ideas?

13 Replies

1. Check if there are any workflows, event receivers or custom scripts associated with the list that could be causing the issue. Disable them temporarily and check if the issue still occurs.

2. Check if there are any validation or formatting rules configured for the choice field that could be causing the issue. Disable them temporarily and check if the issue still occurs.

3. Check if there are any permissions or access restrictions that could be causing the issue. Ensure that the user has the necessary permissions to add and modify items in both lists.

4. Try creating a new choice field with a lookup and a checkbox to see if the issue occurs with this new field. If the issue does not occur, there may be a problem with the original choice field.

5. Check if the issue occurs in other browsers or devices. If the issue only occurs in a specific browser or device, there may be a problem with the browser or device.

@peterdeleu72 

@jaortizgolf78 it's a brand new list. Nothing special, just added the fields. I can reproduce it everytime.

Tested in Chrome and Edge 

I see I've switched up my accounts :)
But answer is still valid :)
I can add something to this as I have a list that is doing the same thing.

1. There are no workflows on the site at all as I am still in the stage of defining the data requirements and implementing what has been approved.
2. There is no validation on anything as the validation will happen on another layer.
3. It is happening to me and I am the site owner.
4. I deleted the field and recreated it and the problem still persists.
5. My default browser is Chrome so I moved over to Edge and it worked.

Here is where it gets weird, and familiar, at the same time,

I went back into Chrome to view the data as most of the users will be there and I prefer the debugger. When I brought up the list in Chrome again the data was gone. I go back into Edge and I see the same thing. But when I scrolled down data started to show. So ONLY the data that was shown on the screen was removed.

It is like an issue that I have seen before when an interface I was associated with was nullifying data via ajax if the client saved the data when the interface was collapsed via CSS.

Seems that the data is erroring or timing out when it is being presented to the browser and the browser is writing it back as blank.

Interesting.
I've been in contact with Microsoft 6 months now. They just don't accept this is a bug. Trying to suggest workarounds before escalating. Maybe now they will escalate is as a bug.
The issue can be reproduced perfectly.

Read previous messages. No custom things at all. Can replicate with new lists when I want.
Owner of site
No versioning
No workflows
No custom code

@peterdeleu72 

Load up something like wireshark and trace what happens. Somehow I was able to get my data to stick last night, but I wish I had thought of tracing it.

Update from Microsoft:
"We sincerely apologize this issue is taking this long due to the peculiar nature of the issue.
I just received an update from our escalation team,
Please be informed that our escalation has submitted a fix request for this behavior to our Product Group team, once. They receive an update; from the product group I would update you.

Meanwhile they would like you to perform these workarounds.
Click outside of the lookup column or using Tab to move to the next field, this will "lock" the value in the column and will not clear it:
Choose a value in the lookup column.
Tab out (click Tab) or click outside of the lookup column (instead of going immediately to change the yes/no field).
Now change the yes/no field
The lookup column value will not disappear."
See last comment. Microsoft is working on fix

account messup

best response confirmed by peterdeleu72 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Microsoft support: "As explained by my colleague, this issue was escalated to our Engineering team and a fix has been submitted to be deployed. We keep following up to get a quick traction on the next line of action."
I think that the core cause of this issue could also causing this:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/sharepoint-caching-problems-with-lists/m-p/2870798

And I took a video employing the workaround that was suggested... Did not work.
Read previous comments. It's already clear it's a bug.
"Microsoft support: "As explained by my colleague, this issue was escalated to our Engineering team and a fix has been submitted to be deployed. We keep following up to get a quick traction on the next line of action.""
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by peterdeleu72 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Microsoft support: "As explained by my colleague, this issue was escalated to our Engineering team and a fix has been submitted to be deployed. We keep following up to get a quick traction on the next line of action."

View solution in original post