Using the Google Distance Matrix API within a SharePoint List to calculate distances?

Copper Contributor

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Google Distance Matrix API within a SharePoint (Online) List to calculate distances? 

Scenario I would like to build out:
I have a large list (2000+) of individuals that can reside literally anywhere in the US, and I often need to reference their distance in relation to specific areas (Note: These areas are always changing so it's not as simple as creating a database.). I would like to be able to input a destination that would then reference a column in a SharePoint list and calculate those distances in another column. 

Using Javascript, I am familiar with how to implement this on a case-by-case basis, or even as a batch method inside of Excel using VBA, however, I'm looking to simplify the process further. 

My Ideal Solution:
A SharePoint WebPart based on Javascript that I could input a destination, perhaps other criteria to narrow results of those in this list, which would when submitted, open the list with results pertaining to the search criteria.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

0 Replies