Using Task List to manage MS Project. How have a View with hidden Sub tasks

Copper Contributor

I have a 1000 row MS Project plan, loaded as a task list in Sharepoint. Any idea how I can create a View with all of the subtasks hidden so I can just see the high level task. I can hide them from the list, but want the default view to have them all rolled up. See the pic of how I'd like the view to look. Thanks

3 Replies

@Swinkles60   I don't think there is an out-of-the box option in the list. But, as your issue is relating to the tasks list, I would suggest to lock down all user permissions to READ and allow only the assigned-to person to make edit the task item and this can be achieved my single step designer workflow. 

This is how it works. Once you design the workflow and publish, you may assign the task to one/multiple person(s). SharePoint will auto-assign contribute (or which ever permissions to set in workflow) access to the user(s). That way, it makes your life easier as an admin and remember owner will have full control on all items. (workflow: break the inheritance and add the assigned-to user to the existing list with contribute rights)

Hope that helps!

Not exactly what I was going for, but this makes sense and would help. I will give it a try. Thanks!

@Swinkles60 This is possible. Include the Outline Code field and then set the SharePoint view to filter on the appropriate level. 
Better Still use Project Online and publish the project, but only include the views you want users to have of the project in the category to which they are assigned.  (You'll need to run project permissions mode to do this). The level of security and permissions in Project Online can be complex, depending on your needs so its vital that you know what you are doing when configuring such views. But yes its possible. :)