Using Flow to Create News Items from a SharePoint List

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to create a News Items in a SharePoint Modern site using Flow with data from a SharePoint Online list within the same site?

If yes, how?

Thank you

12 Replies

I don't believe creating Modern Site Pages/News is possible using native actions in Flow/Logic Apps. 

One possible (advanced) solution would be to:

1. Trigger a Flow from a list item
  2. Get the item's properties
  3. Call an Azure Function that creates a modern page using the information from the list item: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/solution-guidance/modern-experience-customizations-c...
  4. Publish the page as news
Mmm...let me disagree here. In Flow we can directly call SPO API so in theory we can do whatever we need inside the Flow

I want to do this as well.

What ever happened with this post?  Did you guys find a solution?

I did look up https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/solution-guidance/modern-experience-customizations-c... and the C# code is there.

Not sure if Azure functions, graph, other API things, could be used to create this functionality?

Anyone have an idea or working solution?

Terry

Any news on this front? Can this be done? I am trying to take a RSS need from our public website and cross post a link to the news feed on out sharepoint site.
That would be cool! I'm also trying to do the same thing, but haven't yet found a way to automate this.

Any luck with this? I'm wondering the same thing. I'd love to build a flow that when an RSS feed updates, it pushes the post to cross-post on our internal Sharepoint News site. Has anyone had luck with this?

@physics515 Any updates? How did you guys get it working? Or did it in another way? We are currently looking into something simular.
I would like to use the "News link" for it, I was able to copy an existing "News link" but was not able to update it via the API calls

@KaesR 

Bringing this tread up from the dead! I just had a similar requirement on how to create an SP online news item when a company press release is announced on the external group site. The way I have triggered this is that I subscribed to the company news bulletin. The flow triggers when I receive the subscription email. I use flow to parse the information I need out of the email and pass it into variables (Title, Target  URL etc. The same thing could be done by using a list instead of an email. The important thing is how to create the news story with the information you have. 

You can use the 'Send HTTP Request' connector with the following information

2021-03-09_13h02_29.png

FULL BODY TEXT:

{"BannerImageUrl":"",
"Description":"",
"IsBannerImageUrlExternal":"true",
"OriginalSourceUrl":"",
"ShouldSaveAsDraft":false,
"Title":""
}

I kept the Banner image URL simple and saved an image into a document library. I use the same image for every news item created this way. You may prefer a different way.

The Variables you see can be picked up from your list instead

Good luck!

@FeelGroovie This is interesting. I'll have to give this a try, I've been busy with other things so I haven't had any time to dedicate to solving this. I'm still subscribing to all of my feeds in an RSS reader and then manually updating them once or twice a week.

I'd like to know a few more specifics on how you are doing this, for instance what is the URL that you are sending the HTTP Request to (relatively of course).

@physics515 

The Site address is just that. The site which you wish to create the news story in. In my case its:

"https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/NewsTest"

The http request will call the API to that site and create a news article using the link you provide it. You can test it by creating a simple flow with a manual trigger and adding text into the Send HTTP body instead of using variables like so;

{"BannerImageUrl":"",
"Description":"[NEWS DESCRIPTION]",
"IsBannerImageUrlExternal":"true",
"OriginalSourceUrl":"[ENTER URL OF NEWS STORY HERE]",
"ShouldSaveAsDraft":false,
"Title":"[NEWS TITLE]"
}

This works great, thanks a lot!! The same action can also be used to consume news from an RSS feed

@FeelGroovie 

Sorry to bring this up after so many years, but i was wondering what you put in here

"OriginalSourceUrl":"[ENTER URL OF NEWS STORY HERE]",

Could you please clarify what this is?

Thanks